New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry File transfer from 8.1 to new 8.1

I presently have PC with Win 8.1. Now have new PC with 8.1. I have found out that Windows file transfer does not work on 8.1. Is the only option to transfer files from my old computer to the new one, saving all folders to external hard drive, one by one, or transfer through home network, one by one? Eyes blurry from researching any data on file transfer on 8.1 that did not help me.
    May you be blessed today,

Karen

Thanks
    I'm interested in this as I'm planning to buy a new PC and do something similar. I would have thought that using your home network would work (perhaps temporarily making the folders on the new PC public so you can copy straight there). But I don't understand when you say folder by folder. Isn't it just a case of copying from the old PC to the new PC as high up the tree as you can. Might take a while but it should be quicker than going via external HD (though that gives you a backup at least!).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

kedwards138 (2014-12-17)

Thanks
    I've always done this via drive images. If you have your data on a separate partition, it's a piece of cake. Otherwise, most imaging programs have the capability to mount an image and pull files/folders from that mounted image. Either way, you'll also have a backup. I have stuff going back a dozen years or more, several iterations of new PC's/builds.

Networking with shared folders, as access-mdb suggested, will also work. I do that between my laptop and desktop often.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-12-17 at 12:20.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

kedwards138 (2014-12-17)

Thanks
    Windows Easy Transfer comes up on my Windows 8.1 laptop. Did you try searching for it?

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

kedwards138 (2014-12-17)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Windows Easy Transfer comes up on my Windows 8.1 laptop. Did you try searching for it?

Jerry
    It comes up on mine too, Jerry, but it doesn't seem to have any provision for transferring files from this PC (Windows 8.1) to another PC. It only references transferring files from Windows 8, Windows RT, or Windows 7. No mention of 8.1, and as I said, no option for "from". The Easy Transfer dialog box on the left is Windows 8.1, on the right is Windows 7.

Easy Transfer.PNG Easy Transfer-7.PNG
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-12-17 at 14:31. Reason: added graphics
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

kedwards138 (2014-12-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the windows file transfer for my back up to an external hard drive. I also have a drive image on the external drive. Can I just plug in the hard drive to the new computer and then go to backup file transfer and transfer the data file to the new computer?
    May you be blessed today,

Karen

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kedwards138 View Post
    I use the windows file transfer for my back up to an external hard drive. I also have a drive image on the external drive. Can I just plug in the hard drive to the new computer and then go to backup file transfer and transfer the data file to the new computer?
    I don't see why that wouldn't work. I don't use the Windows backup, but perhaps someone who does can chime in here.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    It comes up on mine too, Jerry, but it doesn't seem to have any provision for transferring files from this PC (Windows 8.1) to another PC. It only references transferring files from Windows 8, Windows RT, or Windows 7. No mention of 8.1, and as I said, no option for "from". The Easy Transfer dialog box on the left is Windows 8.1, on the right is Windows 7.

Easy Transfer.PNG Easy Transfer-7.PNG
    Thanks for the correction. I just assumed that from would work as it did in previous versions.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What kind of stuff do you need transferred from the old computer? Just the usual Documents/Pictures/Music folders? Assuming both are on the same home network, you should be able to do that via a Windows Homegroup.

Open "Libraries" on both computers and Homegroup should be one of the choices in the left pane. Click Homegroup on one and then click "Create a Homegroup". It will give you a password for the Homegroup. Click Homegroup on the other and then "Join a Homegroup".

(Note: it seems that by default the Documents library isn't shared, so on the old computer right-click Homegroup in the left pane and change what's shared so it includes the Documents library.)

Once both are connected to the same Homegroup, use the new computer to browse to the old computer via the Homegroup, and just drag-and-drop the contents of the old libraries to the the corresponding libraries on the new computer.

Thanks
    Cloning, or drive-image transfering, is not always a piece of cake. What happens when two different computers, each having slightly-to-much-different chipsets, different driver needs, etc.? One has to be prepared to tweak Windows on the transferred to computer, correct? Unless of course the source and receiver computers are twins.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kedwards138 View Post
    You don't need to involve "windows file transfer" or "backup" if you have an image of the old PC on an external drive.

If you are able to access the files in the drive image when you plug the disk in, you can simply use Explorer to copy the folders with your data files to the new PCs drive.

Have you tried this? If so, were you able to see the files in Windows Explorer when you connected the external drive? If so, what problems did you see?

HTH
    Gordon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Cloning, or drive-image transfering, is not always a piece of cake. What happens when two different computers, each having slightly-to-much-different chipsets, different driver needs, etc.? One has to be prepared to tweak Windows on the transferred to computer, correct?...
    In the present context we are discussing ways of copying user files (i.e. typically files the user has stored in the "Desktop", "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", etc. folders under the user's account) from an older system to a newer system. User files should not be affected by differences in hardware architecture (drivers, etc.).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, you're correct! I forgot this thread's concerned only with data files. My bad! However, I have been able to sneak some programs over -- and mostly get away with it. Others, I had to configure to fit.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    See also this thread: How do I transfer files from an old Win 7 computer to a new running Win 8.1 Professional, in particular my #42 post about using a "SATA/IDE to USB Adapter" to copy user-data.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.