Thanks

How to avoid pendrives letters changing?

I use two notebooks. One running Win8.1 PRO (64bits), the other Win7 Home Premium (32bits).
    I also have an external HD, and three pen-drives I use with both notebooks, as needed.
    Some programs I use (a password manager, bkups, between many others) save data on these drives, and I need that the drive letters attributed to them DO NOT CHANGE no matter the notebooks they are connected to.
    My problem is that the letters given to these drives keep changing when they are used on the notebooks and the programs can't find the paths to store or retrieve data from.
    How can I make the drive letters to remain the same no matter the notebook they are being used with?
    To choose the drive letters I use the Control Panel "Administrative Tools<>Computer Management<>Disk Management"

Any help will be welcome.

Cheers, and a Happy Holiday Season.

Flores
    Both me and my Windows edition speak brazilian portuguese.

Thanks
    Have you assigned the same drive letter to each USB device, in turn, in both notebooks? That is to say, insert device A into notebook A and assign drive letter Z. Eject device A and insert it into notebook B and assign drive letter Z.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a note, the last several versions of Windows default to assigning Z: for Networked drives and work back up the alphabet. If having 2 or more computers or a NAS on the network I'd jump in the middle, somewhere around M: or N:.

Thanks
    You might wish to look at USBDLM - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows, which is free for private and educational use.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Just a note, the last several versions of Windows default to assigning Z: for Networked drives and work back up the alphabet. If having 2 or more computers or a NAS on the network I'd jump in the middle, somewhere around M: or N:.
    I was using Z: as an example. While Windows does default to Z: for mapping a network drive, the Z: option is in a dropdown menu, allowing one to choose from any available drive letter (meaning any drive letter not already in use). If Z: is already assigned, Windows will default to Y: (or the next available letter up the alphabet. Assigning Z: is not really an issue.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    ..............Have you assigned the same drive letter to each USB device, in turn, in both notebooks?
    Hello bbearren
    Not yet, but will try tonite.

Thanks a lot.
    Flores

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    You might wish to look at USBDLM - USB Drive Letter Manager for Windows, which is free for private and educational use.
    +1 I love this little utility.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    .............'d jump in the middle, somewhere around M: or N:.
    Hello Berton,

It does make sense.

Will do this on both laptops according to bbearren recomendations.
    Many thanks,
    Flores

Thanks
    OK, Batcher.

Regards,
    Flores