Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Outlook 2010 Getting duplicated emails

    I am using Outlook 2010 on a Win7 Ultimate. I have one email account (among several) that started to duplicate incoming emails, so that I see it showing up more than once. this started about 2 weeks ago with no changes that I made to Outlook.
    It is a POP3 account and other POP3 accounts off the same email server (GoDaddy hosting) do not have this issue.
    I do have two additional email alias accounts using the same account but they are properly set up on the server side and again, this just started to happen.
    There does not appear to be anything changed on the server side and when I check the emails on the server, there is only one copy, so it appears to be something that is now broken in Outlook.
    I deleted the email account in Outlook and then recreated it, but still have the same issue.
    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    WS Lounge VIP Browni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,656
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 161 Times in 139 Posts
    Have you created any rules in Outlook to process incoming email?

  3. #3
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Have you created any rules in Outlook to process incoming email?
    Yes, I have a number of rules. None of them are new. I also have deleted the only one that affected that email account, which simply moved the messages to a folder, but that did not affect the issue. I attempted to include the "stop processing rules" choice but that did not resolve it either.

  4. #4
    WS Lounge VIP Browni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,656
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 161 Times in 139 Posts
    Seems like you have approached the rules issue correctly, especially using the "stop processing rules" option.

    Could you export your current rules and then delete them all and see if that fixes the problem? Obviously you can import them back.

  5. #5
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Seems like you have approached the rules issue correctly, especially using the "stop processing rules" option.

    Could you export your current rules and then delete them all and see if that fixes the problem? Obviously you can import them back.
    I gave that a shot and still have the issue, so it is not from the rules. As noted, there are no new rules in the recent past and this just started to happen, so I need to identify where the issue is occurring.
    I did verify that the aliased emailed do not have this issue, so it does not appear to involve them. And the email on the webserver shows only a single email, so it is not from the originating source, especially since I get this with different emails coming to this email address only.

  6. #6
    WS Lounge VIP Browni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,656
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 161 Times in 139 Posts
    I'm pretty much stumped just now. Are you using IMAP or POP for your email access?

  7. #7
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    I'm pretty much stumped just now. Are you using IMAP or POP for your email access?
    As I mentioned in the first post, this is POP3. And again, the odd thing here is that this has been working fine for years. No new accounts, no new rules, just suddenly I get three copies of the same email in the inbox from just this one email address. As far as I can determine, there are no differences between the setting on the email server or in Outlook, but something has to be causing this.

  8. #8
    WS Lounge VIP Browni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    1,656
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 161 Times in 139 Posts
    Apologies you did indeed state in your 1st post it was pop3.

    Have you looked at the Email Headers to see if that throws any light on the problem?

  9. #9
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Apologies you did indeed state in your 1st post it was pop3.

    Have you looked at the Email Headers to see if that throws any light on the problem?
    I looked at the headers but didn't see anything that stood out. I'll keep looking.

  10. #10
    WS Lounge VIP Coochin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    2,158
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 307 Times in 267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JWThau View Post
    ...just suddenly I get three copies of the same email in the inbox from just this one email address...
    Just a suggestion: on several customers' computers that had this duplicate messages problem I traced the cause to send/receive errors. If an error occurs during a send/receive then the email client does not delete the messages off the server, so duplicates are downloaded in the next send/receive.

    If Outlook encounters a send/receive error it will not necessarily prompt you; most often the only indication of such errors is a message in the status bar (near bottom-right corner) saying something like "Errors were encountered during this operation". Clicking on such message should cause a dialog to be displayed with details of the error(s).
    Last edited by Coochin; 2014-12-23 at 03:00. Reason: more info
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

  11. #11
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Just a suggestion: on several customers' computers that had this duplicate messages problem I traced the cause to send/receive errors. If an error occurs during a send/receive then the email client does not delete the messages off the server, so duplicates are downloaded in the next send/receive.

    If Outlook encounters a send/receive error it will not necessarily prompt you; most often the only indication of such errors is a message in the status bar (near bottom-right corner) saying something like "Errors were encountered during this operation". Clicking on such message should cause a dialog to be displayed with details of the error(s).
    I looked at that already. There are no errors and this occurs with all of the emails through that account. I can repeat it over and over, sending myself emails and even if I make a change in the account setting, the Outlook test emails come in 3 times. So, not multiple requests to the server.

  12. #12
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Remove Duplicate emails in MS Outlook 2010

    Duplicate emails are increasing the burden of data files in MS Outlook. User can try following methods, mentioned below :

    1. Remove bad rules
    2. Uncheck the option "Leave a message copy on server" during installation of MS Outlook application
    3. Remove duplicate emails manually & use "Compact Now" feature of MS Outlook

    Above steps can be considered as a prevention technique in Outlook 2010.

    Regards,
    Maria

  13. #13
    Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Therasus View Post
    Duplicate emails are increasing the burden of data files in MS Outlook. User can try following methods, mentioned below :

    1. Remove bad rules
    2. Uncheck the option "Leave a message copy on server" during installation of MS Outlook application
    3. Remove duplicate emails manually & use "Compact Now" feature of MS Outlook

    Above steps can be considered as a prevention technique in Outlook 2010.

    Regards,
    Maria
    Maria,
    I'm not sure where you copied this from, but this has nothing to do with "increasing the burden of data files in MS Outlook".
    And, had you read the previous posts- There are no "bad" rules. This affects only a single email account and the rules associated with that were removed with no effect. Actually, ALL rules were removed with no effect on this issue.
    The second point you mention was done and has not changed the issue.
    The last point you have makes no sense related to the issue. Of course duplicate emails can be deleted manually, but that does not have anything to do with resolving this issue and compacting the data files also would have no effect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •