Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to change the fingerprint log-in on Dell vosto 3750

I have a Dell vostro 3750 running W7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit.

I have been using the fingerprint to log-on without any problems, until now. I want to change from my finger to my wife's finger, but can't find any details for doing this. I run a single administrator a/c. I will stop using this computer as my wife takes over.

I can change the password. I can change the a/c name and picture. Although the OS has problems with the 'user area' on the disk. I guess this is because the folders in that part of the disk are not normal 'real' folders, as their names display differently in different places.

We don't keep our data files in that dumping ground of all files, held in a disorganised way and hard to find amongst all the automatic junk. We keep our data in an organised folder structure for easy, non-OS, backup.

I've found suggestions to look for biometrics under Control Panel, but that does not exist and this Dell. In Device Manager, Biometric Devices does exist, with 'Validity Sensor' listed.

I've tried setting-up a new a/c for my wife, but unfortunately, the fingerprint option appears on the startup screen, requiring a mouse selection of the new a/c before typing in the password.

A second user a/c also messes up the user area of the disk controlled by Windows.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Reg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you say
    the OS has problems with the 'user area' on the disk
    there may be issues that need to be cleaned up such as updating and doing a full/deep antivirus scan and same for antimalware.

The C:\Users Folder is important as it holds the actual data files for each User.

My HP Pavilion Notebook has a prompt at the log-in about registering/re-registering finger swipes. But then it is 4 years old.

Thanks
    Have you visited Dell Support? You can enter the service tag or have their utility scan your Vostro to bring up relevant information, support topics, driver downloads, etc. particular to your machine.

As this is an older machine and you mention OS-type problems, I would recommend running chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt (you will be asked to authorize running chkdsk on the next reboot), and after that completes (it can take some time—do not interrupt it), run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-12-18 at 14:20.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    The C:\Users Folder is important as it holds the actual data files for each User..
    The problems with the User Area, is a fundamental design issue with Windows and not a failure due to usage.

As an example on a Panasonic Toughbook less than a year old W7 Pro 64-bit, I've just installed a new program. In it's 'Help - About' menu option and while installing it has:-

Userdata:
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\QV7_Data\

But there is no such folder. In C:\Users\Public there is no folder named 'Documents'. However, there is a folder named 'Public Documents' and in it is a folder named 'QV7_Data' or in full - 'C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\QV7_Data'

So Windows has two different names for a single folder, 'Documents' AND 'Public Documents'. I don't know why Windows does this.

Both folder names.JPG

As one can see, both pathnames appear on the screen at the same time. Is it a design issue related to 'virtual folders'? I'd be interested in how/why Windows does this, but my fundamental problem, changing finger print remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    But then it is 4 years old.
    So quite young then!

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren
    I would recommend running chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt (you will be asked to authorize running chkdsk on the next reboot), and after that completes (it can take some time—do not interrupt it), run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.
    I have run chkdsk and sfc and both report a clean machine.

I spent much time on Dell and other websites, but found no mention of changing the fingerprint. I've also posted on a Dell forum, but a response is slower than here!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Other google searches seem to indicate Dell uses fingerprint software from Digital Persona. Have you seen this reference?

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...9/SLN146739/EN:

"Fingerprint Logon Manager – This one stop command center allows you to create, edit and delete fingerprint logons and account data as well as recover passwords that you have previously entered and may have forgotten. Access it from the One Touch Menu, the Start menu or the reader icon menu."

Looks like maybe you should be looking under your Start Menu for the Digital Persona program?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    Other google searches seem to indicate Dell uses fingerprint software from Digital Persona. Have you seen this reference?

http://www.dell.com/support/article/...9/SLN146739/EN:

"Fingerprint Logon Manager – This one stop command center allows you to create, edit and delete fingerprint logons and account data as well as recover passwords that you have previously entered and may have forgotten. Access it from the One Touch Menu, the Start menu or the reader icon menu."

Looks like maybe you should be looking under your Start Menu for the Digital Persona program?
    I've found many references to Digital Persona external plug-in devices and drivers, including the one you quote. But as the fingerprint reader that is just below the keyboard is working, I clearly don't need to update any drivers. Incidentally, in Device Manager it's working OK. So I disabled it, but all that does is cause the start-up screen to display a message that it's unable to find the device. So it's been enabled again.

I've looked under 'Start Menu', including the 'Dell folders', but no sign of Digital Persona.

I've had a single reply on the Dell forum, but it quotes an invalid link and the comments, like so many, don't address the problem.

Thanks though for trying.

Maybe Dell doesn't want one to pass-on a computer to anyone else! So buy another!

Reg