3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot install a program

I am trying to install BBC iPlayer on a Win 7 machine, have the same problem when I try it with Win 8.0 on another machine. For most of the world who've never heard of BBC iPlayer it is a small program that enables users in the UK to download BBC TV programs to a folder on the hard drive for later viewing (like a VCR). I've used the program for years, then I started getting pop-ups saying that a newer version of iPlayer was available. I make a point of not fixing things that aren't broke so I ignored the update. However, one day iPlayer wouldn't play, instead the "offer" of a new version had changed to a command, update now. So I downloaded the setup file, "BBC-iPlayer-Downloads-1.1.0.msi" and ran it. The setup started normally, then failed with a window:

"Could not open key:
    "Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Installer\Folders
    "Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel"

If I had support personnel I'd do just that, but I am it. So I thought I'd be able to resort to "Run as administrator" only there is no such option.

My next attempt was to re-boot as the Uber Administrator. Serious stuff. And I ran the .msi file again. This time the setup completed without a hitch. Or so I thought. When I tried running iPlayer I got a new pop-up:

Launch Application
    This link needs to be opened with an application.
    Send to:
    "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\BBC\BBCiPlay er Downloads.exe" "%1"
    Choose an application.

Thanks if you've read this far. I am baffled, the BBC doesn't respond, what do I choose?

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The update could be the problem.

Have you tried uninstalling the older version with a decent 3rd party Uninstaller and then installing afresh. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/install

As it's happening on two different systems, it's not likely to be a Windows problem.

After you've downloaded afresh, if it still doesn't work - right click on the desktop icon and select Troubleshoot Compatibilty and see what that comes up with.

You can re-run the Troubleshooter options until you get a version of Windows that it will hopefully work in.

When I've tried it, there wasn't an option to Open with as I already have WMP set as my default player, but as on yours, if it hasn't been set with a default application - you may get that option.

Have you fooled it into thinking you are in the UK as I thought it wasn't available to non UK residents ??

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response. I'm in California at the moment, just got back, but I am in the UK at frequent intervals which is where I have used it successfully in the past. I haven't used a third party uninstaller yet, so that might make a difference. Do you have a preference? Will give it a go.

David.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use IObit Uninstaller which has a deep scan option after the standard uninstall. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...installer.html

I've linked you to the MajorGeeks download site, but not sure if that will redirect you to the normal CNET one - but look out for the box to uncheck for Drive Booster during the install.

If you miss it as it's only small and at the bottom, you can use IObit to uninstall it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15. Before reading your last post I got a copy of Revo, worked like magic, found a load of files and registry entries that had been left behind by the BBC uninstaller. After that the setup program ran without a hitch.

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Great news and thanks for the update.

You can use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark thread as Solved whenever you want.