New Lounger
    Thanks

Missing Desktop icons with Windows 8.1

Two days ago my computer at work was fine. I left it up so the others in the office could listen to music. One of the other gals in the office shut it down properly when she left. Yesterday, when I turned it on, I had my desktop background and all my taskbar icons, but everything on the Desktop was gone. Checked to make sure that the view was set to show desktop icons, and it was. Ran two different antivirus/malware/etc programs and they picked up nothing. Ran an sfc, but the few issues it pulled up were identical to another computer that I can it on that is working fine. So it's not that. Ran the Microsoft Safety Scanner and all the icons reappeared in the middle of it, but when I tried to open one of the folders, it loaded almost to the end and froze to a "not responding" state. When I clicked outside of the box, the screen did a quick flash (like it was reloading) and the icons disappeared again. So I know that they are there, but I don't know why they aren't showing. I've tried to open the desktop through the explorer, but loads almost to the end, then freezes in a "not responding" state. I am at a serious loss at what to do. Tried using System Restore, but it doesn't do anything (literally).

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've decided that my computer is crazy. I clicked on the link to do the rebuild, and all the icons suddenly appeared. I did a quick restart of the computer (which ended up turning into a hard restart) and when I logged back in, low and behold, there were all my icons! And they were working!

As I said, crazy computer.

I will definitely keep that link for future reference though! Thanks a bunch!