Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows update no longer provides updates to office 2007

I recently discovered that my wife's computer is no longer receiving Office 2007 updates. She received all updates until Dec 2013 but since then she has received updates only for Windows but not for Office. Her OS is Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I use Windows 7 premium 64 bit and have had absolutely no problem with the Office updates downloading.

Since this problem started at the same time as she updated to IE 11, and since she uses Firefox and not IE, I deleted IE 11 but that did not solve the problem.

I next checked to see if the Microsoft update box was checked in the "choose how windows can install updates" menu. It was, but just in case I unchecked the box, supposedly temporarily before re-checking it but OOPS !! that choice on the menu immediately disappeared and re-clicking the "Change Settings" link did not bring that choice back. That disappearance in itself probably provides a clue to the problem, but I am stumped as to how to solve it.

So thinking I might be able to bypass the problem, I went to the Microsoft Office website and sure enough there is a link to office updates, but choosing that link only brings me back to the Windows update page which does not provide any Office updates.

OK perhaps I could simply (although there are a bunch of them) go to each of the office updates that have been provided since last December and download them one at a time. However although I can click on each update number (KBxxxxxxxx), that simply gives me a description of the update. I cannot find any way to download them to my wife's computer.

It seems logical to me that there must be some way of downloading Office updates independent of updates to Windows, but I cannot find it.

All comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's possible your WU settings have been changed but you can check this by going to Windows Update/Change settings.

MS has a Fixit to reset Windows Update Components but I'm having problems accessing it (again), so work your way through these steps with the Batch files and then do a manual check for WUs if they aren't already waiting for you..

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ate-reset.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-19 at 12:30.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo. Will give the link a try this afternoon.

duggo

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It's possible your WU settings have been changed but you can check this by going to Windows Update/Change settings.

MS has a Fixit to reset Windows Update Components but I'm having problems accessing it (again), so work your way through these steps with the Batch files and then do a manual check for WUs if they aren't already waiting for you..

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ate-reset.html
    The problem with the Change Settings link is that the option for windows update to also include microsoft update no longer appears when the Change Settings link is activated.

I accessed the Fixit Windows update Components as you suggested, but going through Option 2, the only pertinent option, did not cure the problem. And neither did the Windows Fixit tool, subsequently recommended within Option 2 if the update fixit did not solve the problem.

So I am still looking for a solution to windows update no longer including office updates, or finding a way to download office updates without going through the Windows Update process.

duggo

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried the restore points to as far back as you can, clicking on Scan for affected programs to see if anything is highlighted that could be causing a conflict of some sort and have you ran an anti malware scan ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, to both questions.

In fact the first thing I did was try several restore points. Unfortunately, her restore points did not go beyond January this year so I could not restore to a time she was still receiving office updates.

I run several antimalware scans on all 4 computers weekly and Microsoft security essentials daily.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    My thought is that IE is needed due to the interaction between the various Microsoft programs including the OS. I do know that I've had to keep IE just access some Microsoft pages/sites when Firefox won't.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

duggo33 (2014-12-19)

Thanks
    One possible solution: Tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One) -- there is a box to check for fixing Windows Updates. Let us know how this turns out. We hope for the best!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

duggo33 (2014-12-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    My thought is that IE is needed due to the interaction between the various Microsoft programs including the OS. I do know that I've had to keep IE just access some Microsoft pages/sites when Firefox won't.
    Thanks and I agree. I re-installed IE after I found that it was not the problem. Probably just coincidence that the problem started with the same update that updated IE to version 11.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You haven't said if you've run a sfc /scannow as an admin from the command prompt or if Event Viewer has anything for when you lost the bits in WU/Change settings, but wondering if it could be a .NET Framework problem.

I don't know if Office uses aspects of .NET Framework, but run its repair tool while you check for WUs http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=30135

That's quite a time for the restore points to go back to.

Depending upon with what the previous suggestions produce, I would suggest a clean boot as a next step. http://support.microsoft.com/KB/929135
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-20 at 09:15.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Yes, IE is a minimum requirement for the Windows/Microsoft Update website. I dare say you need it (or a component thereof) for automatic updates too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    One possible solution: Tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One) -- there is a box to check for fixing Windows Updates. Let us know how this turns out. We hope for the best!
    OK, thank you. That helped partially. Tweaking's Windows Repair did bring back the lost windows update menu item for inclusion of microsoft updates. Unfortunately, the update process still does not result in any Office updates.

Everything I have tried and others have suggested seems to have failed. Perhaps I now should try a non-destructive reinstall of Windows 7 to see if that brings the update process back to where it used to be.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had missed running the scan as you suggested. I have now to no avail, and the Event Viewer was not helpful neither for the initial loss of Office updates nor for the loss of the inclusiong of Microsoft updates within Windows update. Similarly, neither the Microsoft repair site nor the clean boot resulted in any change to the problem.

Thanks anyway. I very much appreciate all the suggestions you have offered.

duggo

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the absence of any other suggestions (I can't think of any), you may have to resort to a repair install or a factory reset.

While it's more work, with an OEM machine I would prefer the factory reset.

If you opt for the Repair Install, download Belarc Advisor and make a note of the generic product key should the COA sticker key not work - this will also list product keys for any paid for programs should you not still have a record of those keys. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

duggo33 (2014-12-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions. It turns out that I did not need to do a repair install after all.

I had tried to uninstall/reinstall Office 2007, but the uninstall process aborted each time. It was then suggested by a member of the Microsoft Community that I go to the Microsoft FixIt website and choose the fix-it program specific to uninstall/install problems and that definitely worked. Fix-it carried out a registry fix followed by a successful uninstall of Office.

I was then able to reinstall Office from the disk with no problems after which I was prompted by Microsoft to download 36 office updates which I did a few at a time. All were successful and my wife's computer now has all of the missing office updates applicable, including all of the security updates.

I will certainly keep a close eye on her updates from now on, and I have installed Seconia for her so she will be alerted re her program updates in future.

Thank you again for all your help with this problem.

duggo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast