Thread: IP address

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IP address

Just average computer skills here. Is it possible to change my IP address, or is it real tough?
    Heres why I ask. About 2 days ago I was playing my pool game, up come the fake FBI page, it give my IP address and said I was violating copywrite laws and said I could face so many years in prison and be fined $30,000.00
    I no this a fake, but I would still would like to change my IP if possible. I just pushed the power shut down on my laptop. After I rebooted it was gone.

Thanks Chuck

Thanks
    Giving back your IP address is just a matter of [?whois?] script. No need to change your IP address, scammers, spammers mostly "shotgun" to many many IPs. Are you on DSL? Cable? U-verse [AT&T]? If DSL, one can shut off modem/router when not in use awhile, and get another IP address that way. Perhaps run scheduled antiviri and antimalware scans from time to time.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland, iam in rest home due to 2 strokes and cancer. We got WIFI here, thay got the modem we don't. Should I shut WIFI off at night? I can hit F3 key that's airplane mode ( off ) or is this a have to thing. Why I got fake FBI thing I don't know. Them stupid hackers just for $$$$$.
    By the way my computer skills are just average at best. I run my Malwarebytes every day.

Thanks Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckracer; 2014-12-19 at 21:58.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does the page look like the one here? If so, this implies your computer is not sufficiently protected by installing Windows updates, or you clicked on a link to the malware and then accepted the offer to run the software.

Were you playing pool via your browser or a stand alone game?
    Were you browsing any sites at the time?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No I wasn't doing any browsing at all. The games I got on the computer, none of them are downloaded. I wont download any games at all. I don't download much at all. The only downloads I did were, Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, AdWcleaner, Recuva, Speccy, Super Anti Spyware, Zemana anti logger. Those were only downloaded from there site, I wont download from alternate site. Way to many fakes. I thinks kids get malware from downloading games. But that's my opinion. Maybe iam wrong. Thanks Chuck

Thanks
    Yes, you can shut down your connection to the wifi from time to time. Running Malwarebytes is aok. Maybe add Spybot S&D 1.62, manually update and manually scan from time to time.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do all antivirus scans and updates every day. I also scan and update Malwarebytes everyday. I think I will get S&D. I have heard many good things about that program. Thanks Chuck

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which AV program do you have installed ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Which AV program do you have installed ?
    I got Window Defender, but I got 8.1 Thanks Chuck