New Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with Hotmail running via Windows Live Mail 2012

Hi folks
    I have a problem with sending Hotmail emails via Live Mail. I can receive but not send emails.
    I have done all the checking of the necessary settings in the setup procedure and they seem fine.
    Here is the copy of the Delivery Status Notification (failure):-

Reporting-MTA: dns;BLU004-WSS1S3.hotmail.com
    Received-From-MTA: dns;BLU437-SMTP43
    Arrival-Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 13:09:50 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;gr42@live.com
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp;554 5.6.2 Delivery SMTP Error. Command: 3. Response: 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
    535 5.7.8 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/a...y?answer=14257 kg2sm9599423pbc.72 - gsmtp
    . Type=2 (-798154547:817:-2147418113)

Can anyone suggest an answer to this problem or what procedure I might follow to solve it hopefully.

Thanks sp much.

Gerald

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, Hotmail and it successor Outlook.com are IMAP and Windows Live Mail plus other installed E-Mail Clients such as IncrediMail, Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, etc., have to be set up as that rather than using POP3.
    Some pages about that:
    https://www.google.com/search?site=&....0.hohMmz9SN4Q

Some trouble-shooting pages:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wind...80.APuIL2AuwgU

Thanks
    Well, Hotmail and it successor Outlook.com are IMAP
    While Hotmail and Outlook can be configured for both IMAP and POP, the default setting in Windows Live Mail for this account type is HTTP.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Well, Hotmail and it successor Outlook.com are IMAP...
    Actually, with Hotmail and Outlook.com, and almost all other email providers, you can choose to use either IMAP or POP3. The main difference is that with IMAP the messages, etc., are stored on the mailserver, while with POP3 the messages are downloaded from the mailserver to the client then deleted from the mailserver (these days most email clients have POP3 settings to leave messages on the mailserver for a specified number of days or until they are deleted from the email client's "Deleted" or "Trash" folders).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by walkman1943 View Post
    ...Can anyone suggest an answer to this problem or what procedure I might follow to solve it hopefully...

Once you are logged in to your Hotmail account you should be able to find the settings you need to use for WLM in the "Help" or "FAQs" provided.

However, considering "...I have a problem with sending Hotmail emails via Live Mail. I can receive but not send emails..." makes me wonder if your SMTP settings in WLM are correct. From memory under the outgoing (SMTP) server settings the checkbox "This server requires authentication" should be ticked, and the "Use same username and password as for incoming server" option should be selected. You will almost certainly also have to go to the "Advanced" tab and change the outgoing (SMTP) port from 25 to 587.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Actually, with Hotmail and Outlook.com, and almost all other email providers, you can choose to use either IMAP or POP3. The main difference is that with IMAP the messages, etc., are stored on the mailserver, while with POP3 the messages are downloaded from the mailserver to the client then deleted from the mailserver (these days most email clients have POP3 settings to leave messages on the mailserver for a specified number of days or until they are deleted from the email client's "Deleted" or "Trash" folders).
    If you use the automatic setup for a Hotmail account in Windows Live Mail, you get an HTTP server account. You ne to choose "Manually configure server settings" to use POP or IMAP.

Jerry