Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merge Windows 8 accounts?

I am fed up with having to manage more than one account on my husband's Windows 8.1 computer. I followed all of the advice as well as I could to put the printer, for example, in the overall administrative account, to do the same with installed software, etc. Today I had to scan a document and send it to someone. I can access the printer control program from the desktop my husband uses, so I scanned the document. I still don't know where the scanned document went.

I initially made two accounts because my husband sometimes clobbers things, but I had to make his account an Admin account too in order to do what he needed to do, so the original reason for the two accounts is gone.

I have used personal computers since they existed, and I do not want to deal with all of this. I am so glad I set up only one account on my Windows 7 laptop.

is there an easy way out of this? I want to collapse everything the computer knows how to do into one account, despite having set up two. At this stage of our lives we just want to use the computers.

Thank you for your advice!

Thanks
    You can't merge accounts on Windows. The best you can do is the procedure Microsoft provides for fixing a corrupt profile here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Just use the part that shows what to copy to the new profile and use it to copy things over to the profile you want to save.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As for the scans, it may depend upon whether you are using the Windows Scan function or the program that installed with the printer. I find the HP scan function works better for me, can press the Scan button on the printer to get things started, but then I have a few computers using the 2 printers on the Network. My HP puts the scans in the Documents Folder with names such as Scan001.jpg for images but also will save as .pdf. Some scanner programs may add a subFolder of My Scans or some such name. One has to pay attention as the scans progress or search for them later.

Thanks
    Somewhere else, there was a long article indicating how to copy one account into another. I have only tried that on a limited basis, from userA appdata local X to userB appdata local X. That might be problematic for many. I have no idea where that article is on the 'Net, and I have not tried to merge two accounts - using that said article.
    Concerning software and their configurations, I know of no shortcut, no copying ideas. Back in Windows 3.1 days, yes, it was possible. Now, best to simply install, configure until the desired account is nearly perfect, then stay away from the other account.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Somewhere else, there was a long article indicating how to copy one account into another
    The link I gave does that.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks

thank you!

I'll try that, Jerry. I assume I should make the account under which I installed the software and the printer the remaining account?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used the HP program on the computer to make the scan. I gave the scan a name that I could search for. It put the scan in a file that the logged-in user could not access. When I searched the computer for the file by the name I had used, it was not found. That is the point at which I decided that I did not want more than one account on the computer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    I'll try that, Jerry. I assume I should make the account under which I installed the software and the printer the remaining account?
    That seems like a good choice. If you have a backup external disk, I would make a backup image of your C drive first.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy M View Post
    I used the HP program on the computer to make the scan. I gave the scan a name that I could search for. It put the scan in a file that the logged-in user could not access. When I searched the computer for the file by the name I had used, it was not found. That is the point at which I decided that I did not want more than one account on the computer.
    Try downloading and installing Everything Search (WWW.voidtools.com). If the file is on your PC, it will find it even if the file is hidden or OS protected.

Jerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Judy M (2015-01-08)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, thank you!