Lounger
    Thanks

tool to display IE Passwords?

I do a fair amount of computing pro-bono work with seniors. It can be really rewarding to help them because to them, it really is rocket science when I do even the simplest config change or repair - it gives me a good feeling to know that Im returning back to the community.

Im sure many of you know this type of user and know how frustrating they can be, especially when they are frustrated. And as you know, they invariably use IE as their browser of choice, on a variety of Windows flavors.

Most of them have no idea as to what any of their passwords are, for anything. And trying to reset a google password, or a yahoo password is almost impossible because these people dont remember what their old email address is, when they may have opened the account, what their old zipcode was, etc. Att and Comcast at least have help desks that do resets once credentials are proven.

this problem doesnt exist with Chrome or FF sinc their options allow for web site password display, but some of these people are afraid or dont know how to use these tools because they either have to download them and cant find them after the download to install them, or have been informed/frightened by a person they trust not to download anything...period.

I have a few linux based OS level crackers to get Windows system and user login passwords, but need a tool to display IE passwords - I would prefer display rather than reset because, again, once I can show it to them Ill bet that they will remember it. Most of the tools Ive found via search tools, like iepv, are flagged by most AV tools as HackTool viruses.

Can anyone recommend something that works to show IE passwords, can be run off a flash drive, and that AV tools dont flag? I really appreciate any input and recommendations.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    IE PassView would do the job, and is portable, but all such tools will probably be flagged as potentially risky:

Some Antivirus programs detect this utility as infected with Trojan/Virus. Click here to read more about false alerts in Antivirus programs.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-12-19 at 19:42.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmgoat View Post
    ...Can anyone recommend something that works to show IE passwords, can be run off a flash drive, and that AV tools dont flag?...
    I use SIW - System Information for Windows. I bought a lifetime Technician licence because I use it on customers' computers to discover not only passwords but licence keys and many other "secrets". It is not free - I paid AU$99 for the Technician licence about eight years ago, and have not regretted that (new versions are released every few months).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    It would be worth you looking through the vast range of Nir Sofer's utilities. Even though I've used them for ages, there's always a new one I come across when I need something!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did I read it right that IE Passview doesn't work with IE11?

Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    Did I read it right that IE Passview doesn't work with IE11?
    I see what you mean about the IE PassView web page saying it supports IE 4 to 10; but I just tested it with IE11 and it works fine (and I emailed the author to update 10 to 11).

Bruce

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-12-21)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    It would be worth you looking through the vast range of Nir Sofer's utilities. Even though I've used them for ages, there's always a new one I come across when I need something!
    Looks like he has done a number of viewing tools but this one one that came up with being associated with HackTool when I downloaded it and scanned the zip file.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    WebBrowserPassView (also from Nirsoft and potentially portable) reads IE (4.0-11.0) as well as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari passwords (and didn't raise an alert on my PC).

Bruce