New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 8 freezes after entering password

Win 8 freezes with a light blue screen and the spinning circle after entering the password. I've let it sit 15 min with no change. I can access the usability options, the screen keyboard etc. I can also start the Task Manager title screen but can only access the log out and change user choices which dump back to the password screen and here we go again. To make it worse, it occasionally starts ok but I can't see where anything has changed. To make it even worser, we moved last year and the Win 8 install disk is apparently gone, gone, gone. And then for the final straw, I can find no way to make a boot disk from Win 8, only a USB drive and I don't have any. I manually install important updates and the Defender security ones but no optional ones. The problem appeared out of the blue a few days after the last Tues updates.
    1) Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
    2) Can you make a boot CD with WIN 8?

Thanks All, Bob

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Not an answer but I'd surely pick a different User name for the site. Posting a valid E-Mail address invites SPAM.

Thanks
    Try a Clean Boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If that doesn't help, try a System Restore to a date prior to the problem.

Jerry

Thanks
    jwittalka, I'm wondering if OP would benefit from loading onto a USB-stick a portable copy of Tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One), along with self-boot? However, that would require a 2nd computer, or, a friend's computer. There is one other way, using a friend's Windows CD/DVD [it has to be exactly samo as what's on busted computer] and running the repair function, the one that does not erase anything, does not roll back to anything, simply reworks the boot portion. That has worked for me in the past.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Not an answer but I'd surely pick a different User name for the site. Posting a valid E-Mail address invites SPAM.
    I don't know what I was thinking, I'll change it right away.
    Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds good. I'm not going to get this fixed tonight so I'll grab a usb drive tomorrow and set it up as you suggest.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'd forgotten about "clean boot". I'll give it a try along with the other suggestions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the problem is lock screens and passwords
    they do nothing but cause problems and grief for users

you should be able to make a boot disk for win8.1
    if you have a dvd drive
    else consider using a usb stick to boot from

not sure how that would fix your password lock screen problem

try reinstalling from the spare taht comes on your laptop these days
    then get rid of (never start ) the password and lock screen crap

Quote Originally Posted by BobT71 View Post
    Win 8 freezes with a light blue screen and the spinning circle after entering the password. I've let it sit 15 min with no change. I can access the usability options, the screen keyboard etc. I can also start the Task Manager title screen but can only access the log out and change user choices which dump back to the password screen and here we go again. To make it worse, it occasionally starts ok but I can't see where anything has changed. To make it even worser, we moved last year and the Win 8 install disk is apparently gone, gone, gone. And then for the final straw, I can find no way to make a boot disk from Win 8, only a USB drive and I don't have any. I manually install important updates and the Defender security ones but no optional ones. The problem appeared out of the blue a few days after the last Tues updates.
    1) Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
    2) Can you make a boot CD with WIN 8?

Thanks All, Bob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the problem. A new malware program was also installing a win8 start program. I uninstalled both and everything is fine. Thanks for the ideas!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Care to share with readers what the malware program is and which start program it included?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 freezes after entering password

Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Care to share with readers what the malware program is and which start program it included?
    Advanced System Care and Start Menu 8
    I've been using their suite of programs for several years and am very happy with them. I've had no problems and they are a good value. This is the first glitch in 4 years.