Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Unhappy Win 8 freezes after entering password

    Win 8 freezes with a light blue screen and the spinning circle after entering the password. I've let it sit 15 min with no change. I can access the usability options, the screen keyboard etc. I can also start the Task Manager title screen but can only access the log out and change user choices which dump back to the password screen and here we go again. To make it worse, it occasionally starts ok but I can't see where anything has changed. To make it even worser, we moved last year and the Win 8 install disk is apparently gone, gone, gone. And then for the final straw, I can find no way to make a boot disk from Win 8, only a USB drive and I don't have any. I manually install important updates and the Defender security ones but no optional ones. The problem appeared out of the blue a few days after the last Tues updates.
    1) Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
    2) Can you make a boot CD with WIN 8?

    Thanks All, Bob

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,079
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    Not an answer but I'd surely pick a different User name for the site. Posting a valid E-Mail address invites SPAM.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator jwitalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,798
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 799 Times in 720 Posts
    Try a Clean Boot: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

    If that doesn't help, try a System Restore to a date prior to the problem.

    Jerry

  4. #4
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,735
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 130 Times in 127 Posts
    jwittalka, I'm wondering if OP would benefit from loading onto a USB-stick a portable copy of Tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One), along with self-boot? However, that would require a 2nd computer, or, a friend's computer. There is one other way, using a friend's Windows CD/DVD [it has to be exactly samo as what's on busted computer] and running the repair function, the one that does not erase anything, does not roll back to anything, simply reworks the boot portion. That has worked for me in the past.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Not an answer but I'd surely pick a different User name for the site. Posting a valid E-Mail address invites SPAM.
    I don't know what I was thinking, I'll change it right away.
    Thanks!

  6. #6
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That sounds good. I'm not going to get this fixed tonight so I'll grab a usb drive tomorrow and set it up as you suggest.

  7. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks, I'd forgotten about "clean boot". I'll give it a try along with the other suggestions.

  8. #8
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    89
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    the problem is lock screens and passwords
    they do nothing but cause problems and grief for users

    you should be able to make a boot disk for win8.1
    if you have a dvd drive
    else consider using a usb stick to boot from

    not sure how that would fix your password lock screen problem

    try reinstalling from the spare taht comes on your laptop these days
    then get rid of (never start ) the password and lock screen crap


    Quote Originally Posted by BobT71 View Post
    Win 8 freezes with a light blue screen and the spinning circle after entering the password. I've let it sit 15 min with no change. I can access the usability options, the screen keyboard etc. I can also start the Task Manager title screen but can only access the log out and change user choices which dump back to the password screen and here we go again. To make it worse, it occasionally starts ok but I can't see where anything has changed. To make it even worser, we moved last year and the Win 8 install disk is apparently gone, gone, gone. And then for the final straw, I can find no way to make a boot disk from Win 8, only a USB drive and I don't have any. I manually install important updates and the Defender security ones but no optional ones. The problem appeared out of the blue a few days after the last Tues updates.
    1) Any thoughts on what the problem might be?
    2) Can you make a boot CD with WIN 8?

    Thanks All, Bob

  9. #9
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I found the problem. A new malware program was also installing a win8 start program. I uninstalled both and everything is fine. Thanks for the ideas!

  10. #10
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,079
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    Care to share with readers what the malware program is and which start program it included?

  11. #11
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Win 8 freezes after entering password

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Care to share with readers what the malware program is and which start program it included?
    Advanced System Care and Start Menu 8
    I've been using their suite of programs for several years and am very happy with them. I've had no problems and they are a good value. This is the first glitch in 4 years.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •