Thread: a back up

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

a back up

I hear backup your files all the time. What exactly is meant by that ? As you can see my computer skills are just average.
    I got all my programs, pictures, music, documents on a flash drive put away. I reformat my flash drive about every month then reinstall it all. Sometimes you add more that's needs to be saved. Sorry for a dumb question. Thanks Chuck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Chuck,

There are two basic types of backups, File Backups and Image Backups.

File Backups are for your DATA files, i.e. the things you create {Word Documents, Spreadsheets, Databases, Pictures, Downloaded Music, Books, Videos, etc. The frequency of these backups depends on how often you get new content and it's importance to you, e.g. how bad you'd feel if you lost it!

Image Backups are mostly for your Operating System and Programs. Although you can reload these from the original media (CD/DVD/USB Key, etc) what you will not get restored that way is all the Patches/Updates/Configuration Settings you've made since you installed the software. An Image Backup is like a xerox of your entire drive/partition that copies byte for byte what's on the hard drive. Thus when you restore an Image to your disk after a disaster it is exactly like it was when the image was made. Frequency of Image backups depends on how often you play with, alter, update, or install new Programs or OS options/patches. I would recommend at least monthly usually just before "Patch Tuesday" that way if a MS patch causes havoc you have a quick recovery.

This topic is much more complicated than the above but those are the basics. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Trev (2014-12-20)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Chuck,

This topic is much more complicated than the above but those are the basics. HTH
    Very well put in the context requested/required.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Chuck,

There are two basic types of backups, File Backups and Image Backups.

File Backups are for your DATA files, i.e. the things you create {Word Documents, Spreadsheets, Databases, Pictures, Downloaded Music, Books, Videos, etc. The frequency of these backups depends on how often you get new content and it's importance to you, e.g. how bad you'd feel if you lost it!

Image Backups are mostly for your Operating System and Programs. Although you can reload these from the original media (CD/DVD/USB Key, etc) what you will not get restored that way is all the Patches/Updates/Configuration Settings you've made since you installed the software. An Image Backup is like a xerox of your entire drive/partition that copies byte for byte what's on the hard drive. Thus when you restore an Image to your disk after a disaster it is exactly like it was when the image was made. Frequency of Image backups depends on how often you play with, alter, update, or install new Programs or OS options/patches. I would recommend at least monthly usually just before "Patch Tuesday" that way if a MS patch causes havoc you have a quick recovery.

Is a computer image backup of system files very tough? With my average computer skills, I don't no how to do this at all. Heres the info on my computer. I hope this helps some.
    Acer Aspire Ultra Book, Windows 8 64 bit 4 gig ram not upgradeable. Ram soldered to motherboard, 320 gig with SSD
    No CD drive. No Acer recovery USB or anything. This laptop was picked up by someone else for me. Features I hate is ram soldered to motherboard, laptop battery is inside the case. Thanks Chuck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Chuck,

No it is not hard you just have to be patient and follow the steps the software requires. I recommend one of two free programs:

Macrium Reflect Free. I use the Pro Version of this program but the Free version is just fine.

or

EaseUS ToDo Backup

You'll also need an External USB Hard Drive to store your Images on. I personally like the WD models.

If your computer has more than one USB port you'll also need a USB Flash Thumb Drive. This is to make a bootable copy of the recovery software! If you only have one USB port you'll need to do what I did here it's complicated but if you follow the instructions you should be fine.

Of course which ever program you decide to use make sure you download the instructions or bookmark the online help files.

Post back if you need more help. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
    I hear backup your files all the time. What exactly is meant by that ? As you can see my computer skills are just average.
    I got all my programs, pictures, music, documents on a flash drive put away. I reformat my flash drive about every month then reinstall it all. Sometimes you add more that's needs to be saved. Sorry for a dumb question. Thanks Chuck
    There are many forms of backup, but the two most important are:

1. Drive Imaging for the OS, the OS is not that important except when you loose it.
    The operating system is merely a means to an end, ie running your programs and generating/manipulating the data you create.
    And when you do loose it, it'll hurt, so you'll want to get it back up and running in less than 20-30 minutes.
    This is where imaging comes in and what it is best at doing. To rely on repairing, or a repair install alone is a loosing strategy
    If you think the OS is the most important thing, then you're totally missing the point here and you really don't have any important data worth loosing.

2. Hard copies of important data: If you are able to move your data off the main drive, all
    the more power to you. Otherwise imaging a bloated main drive every Tuesday will take ages, not to mention that
    imaging alone is potentially prone to errors and other issues.
    Hard copying can involve anything from moving folders off the OS, to syncing data to other drive(s).
    Having at least one other internal and an external drive is preferable.
    This includes:
    a. Several other internal drives with in a secure form of RAID.
    b. Several other internal drives with one in which links from the OS are pointed to (moved folders)
    c. Other internal, or external drives, which serve merely to store backups. (both imaged and hard copies)
    e. NAS, or some form of networked storage.
    d. DVD disks & USB thumb drives for "off site" storage.

Pick a combination that suits you, but don't go with a single form alone.
    Otherwise eventually you're going to loose something.
    And (KISS) keep it stupid simple whenever possible.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-12-20 at 13:23.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Doesn't Windows have fairly good backup/restore [for system & data files]? I haven't a clue, 'cause I've been using Norton Ghost [in the past] and Acronis True Image [now].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use ( Ease Us To Do ) program for backup. Thanks, Chuck