New Lounger
    Thanks

Help on Win 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based systems - Is this a good update?

On 12-18 I got notice from MS that I needed to update my laptop with Win7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based system. I updated with this large 77MB file. Today, 12-20, I got notice from MS that I have 87 available important updates totaling 405MB, plus 44 optional updates. I have previously never had that many updates from MS at one time.
    Can anybody tell me what this is all about? Does the service pack 1 replace all the updates that MS now says are available for me? Should I try to install the latest available updates?

Would appreciate any insight on this!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That sounds like you were a very long way behind in patching and are now catching up. Service Pack 1 was released in February 2011.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm surprised you haven't been prompted to update SP1 before now - how long have you had the machine or updated to Win 7 ?

The updates will be for the SP1 version but just load a few down at a time and check to see if there are any for Bing Desktop that you may not want.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had the laptop 4-5 yrs and I update Win7 every time I get the Windows update notice. I did notice that SP1 was released in Mar 2011, but I just got the Windows update notice for SP1 on 12-17-2014 (couldn't get it to install) but was successful on 12-18. I have no idea why I'm just now getting the SP1 update notice 3 1/2 yrs after release.

So the 87 important updates & 44 optional updates are valid updates for me to install?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the updates are from Windows Update then they are valid.
    I would make an image backup before installing that many updates.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help. Gives me a lot more comfort feeling before I try to install all those other updates.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I recommend you backup your system and then install SP1 first and separately from the other fixes. Once SP1 is installed then run WU to set what fixes are needed.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Speaking from very late experience there will be quite a few updates after SP1 is installed. Do keep the Notebook/Laptop plugged into AC power until done.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually download & install a Windows Service Pack, in this case, Win7 SP1 x64 through Microsoft download center instead of thru Windows Update since it's a very large update. The package I used is more than 900Mb since I am updating two or more PCs that came with the original RTM release of Windows 7.
    I use a 3rd party download manager to download and resume the interrupted SP1 download.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Modern browsers perform download re-start correctly so you no longer need a download manager.

cheers, Paul