Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Still with the Dec. 2014 update problems - AARGH!

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

The last updates in my Control Panel>Uninstall list are dated 11/20 even though automatic update said it successfully installed 8 of 9 important/recommended ones on 12/16.

KB 3004394 that's been causing so many problems is not listed.

The "not genuine" pop-up window keeps appearing. I click to validate online, but it just churns for hours.

What else do ya'll need to know to point me toward a solution?

Thanks
    Sounds like automatic updates for December didn't install. It's possible they downloaded and didn't install for some reason. Go to windows update in control panel and click on installed updates. See if any December updates are listed there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for your willingness to help.

It shows 224 updates installed, the last on 11/22/14.

The following are available when I check for updates from the Control Panel, as well as each morning when I turn on my computer and automatic update communicates:

I've downloaded and installed these 3 times over 3 days. It tells me all but 1 was successful, but they don't show up where you told me to look or on the uninstall page after reboot. Windows works on the installation during shutdown and at restart like usual.

I'll try installing again now and see if I can get you more info.

Thanks
    All of those that you listed as available when you click on windows updates show that Dec updates did not install. Some "Important" and some "Recommended". KB890830 is the Malicious Software removal tool.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you get an error code for the unsuccessful WU ?

See if these commands from an elevated command prompt does anything for you.

Copy & paste -

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

After a couple of seconds the Windows Activation dialog will appear.

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sticker on the machine's case

Reboot.

There's also this MS Fixit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230957
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-20 at 18:38.

Thanks
    When you goto this page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-is-validation
    -- and you click on the purple boxed "Validate Now" [about 1/2 way down the page],
    what was the result?
    Either your Windows will be validated, or, your Windows will not be validated.
    If you have an OEM Windows, then the above possibly will not work.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    All of those that you listed as available when you click on windows updates show that Dec updates did not install. Some "Important" and some "Recommended". KB890830 is the Malicious Software removal tool.
    Right. And this is the first set of updates ever for which Windows made me click UAC approval to approve the install. The request has "Trusted Installer" as the user, not me. Is that significant?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    When you goto this page:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-is-validation
    -- and you click on the purple boxed "Validate Now" [about 1/2 way down the page],
    what was the result?
    Either your Windows will be validated, or, your Windows will not be validated.
    If you have an OEM Windows, then the above possibly will not work.
    Thank you, RolandJS. I followed your link and clicked as you said. It brings up the same window that clicking "validate now" in the notification pop-up does. It has been working for about 18 minutes now, and the green circle is still moving, but no result yet. I let it run for 3 hours yesterday with never a valid/not valid result.

This is a Joy Systems refurb of an HP computer, but I don't understand why I'm having a "not genuine" problem and updates failing after 14 months of working just fine.

EDIT: The green circle is still churning after 40 minutes. I'm going to cancel the operation now.
    Last edited by erc; 2014-12-21 at 08:48. Reason: New Info

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Do you get an error code for the unsuccessful WU ?

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sticker on the machine's case

Reboot.

There's also this MS Fixit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230957
    There are 2 errors:

8000FFFF - Ran the FixIt 50202 recommended by the Microsoft web site (sorry, I didn't bookmark that page). "Windows Installer Package failed to process"

8E5E0408 - Found this but didn't run this FixIt yet since the other one didn't work.

I'm going to hold off doing anything else until you've had a chance to see my error codes - I didn't get the one your link is for, and I hate to keep changing things unnecessarily.

Thanks tons for the script, Sudo15. I'm not going to run that, either, until I hear back based on this info and others' input.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thought this was interesting:

When UAC gets my permission for Trusted Installer to update, WU says it's downloading the updates, but it shows "0KB total, 0% complete" for several minutes. I cancel, and UAC asks for approval again, which I give.

Then it says, "Some updates were not installed", and gives me the 2 error codes.

I forget where I got this info, but I wrote it down: "verified publisher unknown", "File origin: hard drive on your computer", and a CLSID.

I even tried turning off Avast before trying to update - that didn't help either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows thinking your install isn't genuine could be causing the problem which is why I've posted those commands for a manual fix, so create a restore point first if you like and give them a try - they will auto run when you copy & paste them - then see how the WUs go.

I've been having problems accessing some MS Fix it pages of late and that includes the one you have posted.

Not sure if you have tried either of these but give them a go after running those other commands and in this order -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2642495

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...Readiness-Tool

I'm a bit pushed for time at the moment but will be back later.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

erc (2014-12-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again, Sudo15.

Running the script didn't result in a request to activate, but I haven't had the "not genuine" pop-up since.

The FixIt http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230957 allowed me finally to download and install those updates.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erc View Post
    Thanks again, Sudo15.

Running the script didn't result in a request to activate, but I haven't had the "not genuine" pop-up since.

The FixIt http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2230957 allowed me finally to download and install those updates.
    Well - that was a good guess - but glad it worked

Thanks
    erc, sorry the validate now did not work for you! I run that once every day to make sure my nonOEM Windows stays genuine. I'm glad sudo15's FixIt worked for you!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

erc (2014-12-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Heck, who can complain if a suggestion doesn't work? You guys are very kind to take time to help us!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast