Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Grinding forever at startup (2000)

A couple of months ago Outlook began a behavior I've never seen before: a moment or two after it opens, it starts grinding on the disk intensively for 30-35 seconds, during which the entire computer is locked out. Then any Reminders open.

It seems obvious that the thing is pounding away looking for current reminders, but I have no idea why this would have started recently.

My PST file is over 1/3 of a gigabyte.... is that a factor? I have 192 MB of RAM and about 200MB free disk space on Outlook's volume.

Thanks,
    Dave

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grinding forever at startup (2000)

I've been checking the responses (or lack of) to your question because I also have the same problem. If you run across anything that's not posted, please let me know.

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have the same problem - but nobody seems to have any suggestions... Ant ideas of anywhere else to try?

Ken coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Try opening a new *.pst file. Copy over your entire Calendar to it (by dragging and dropping with the Ctrl button depressed). Close your current *.pst file (right click on Outlook Today and select Close). Close and reopen Outlook. If there is no change, try testing further by deleting some of your old Calendar entries in your COPIED version. Many Outlook users archive their *.pst files every month/6 months/year. Like many Woody fans, I stay away from the Auto-Archive option; as it tends to be a bit on the clumsy side.

Hope this Helps
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

My apologies: I left out an intermediate step. You cannot close your default *.pst file directly. You need to first close Outlook after you have made the copied *.pst file. Move your default *pst file to another folder and then reopen Outlook .
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Unk,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't want to go through all of that, but I took your general suggestion, and it's improved substantially.

First, I found that it had been a long time since I'd cleared out Deleted Items, so I did that. Also, in case it mattered, I marked everything in that folder as Read. (Many msgs had been deleted while Unread.) That folder is still 15MB, even tho I've deleted every msg >500k.

In Calendar, I used Advanced Find to locate everything whose end date was >6 months ago, and I deleted them. I also took old (but still current) recurring appointments and changed their start dates to something more current.

After that, it was still grinding 20 seconds at startup - better than before but still excessive, imo.

Finally, I did a Compact Now, which reduced the size of the .PST by 15MB, for whatever that's worth.

The end result is that it now grinds for 10 seconds at startup, which is 3x less than it used to. But I'd still really like to know what Outlook thinks it needs to do every time it starts up.

Do recurring events like birthdays require that kind of churning? I wouldn't think so; my whole Calendar folder is now only 417k. So, scratching my head, what the heck is its problem?? What's it looking for?? Follow-up flags?

Thanks again,
    Dave

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

One of the issues that you're having to deal with is the layout of database files themselves. In simple terms, once you've used a flat database (such as your *pst file) a lot, it starts becoming inefficient. Compacting solves part of the problem, but not all.

There's an excellent step by step "how to" <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v5-n42>here</A> in one of the old issues of Woody's Office Watch. It's Point 4 - about halfway down the page. Even if you decide to hang on to everything, it should reduce the grinding still further.
    (While you're at it, you may wish to keep your *.pst files in a slightly more accessible folder. The user defaults are not particularly user-friendly.)
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unk,

Spiffy... I'll try the rearrange/new/copy procedure sometime this week. Thanks.

Dave

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried out what you suggested - no change, Oulook still grinds away when opened - any other suggestions?? I'd be most grateful
    Regards
    Ken

Thanks

Is Outlook in your Startup folder?
    If I put mine in it, it takes about 30 seconds to start - mainly because the hd is grinding away loading other 'services'.
    If I start it when all has quietened down, about 5 secs.

Otherwise - real-time virus-scanning?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Do I take it that you mean <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=out&Number=103120&page= &view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post103120>this</A> post as well. How big is your *.pst file? If you're not on NT4, when did you last defragment your hard drive?
    Gre

Thanks

Just out of interest, why not NT4?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Until Win2k, the only MS "out of the box" defrag utility was 16 bit.
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, it's not in my Start-up folder.
    I'm using AVG AV - but the problem comes as soon as I try to load Outlook - not when I'm trying to send/receive!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep - I've done what Woody suggests in his article 'Outloo Bloat'. my current .pst file is only 2560kb, i last defragmented 48 days ago.....
    Outlook still grinds away when I open it........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast