3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WLM v Thunderbird

I use WLM with Windows 7 and recently my ISP changed from POP3 to IMAP and I had to delete my POP3 account and re-enter as IMAP. All was well except that deleted mail vanishes - it does not appear in the deleted items folder, and the Junk folder has disappeared; I have looked in Accounts and can find no options that would account for the problems. As I can find no way to cure the problem I am considering installing Thunderbird and using that instead; with the present WLM I have a lot of folders with archived emails, such as order details for items bought on line which I would need if I wish to claim under a warranty would I be able to transfer these to Thunderbird or would I have to continue to store them in the existing WLM. I believe I could uninstall Windows Live Essentials and the re-install WLM, but I am afraid that I may make matters worse.

Thanks
    In Windows Live Mail:
    File > Options > Email Accounts> right click on your Email account and select Properties
    Go to the IMAP tab and check "Store Special Folders ....."

Jerry

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-12-22),zigzag3143 (2014-12-21)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a fact about emails that seems to pass most people by: you can drag and drop them from your email client into a folder of your choice in Explorer. This copies, not moves, them. A good option if they're messages you want to keep.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyl For This Useful Post:

jduncan (2014-12-24),mike21 (2014-12-22)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In properties under IMAP there was an option "store special folders on IMAP server - this was ticked. I unticked it and deleted some junk emails but they did not appear in the deleted items folder and still nothing in the junk folder, which normally has lots of mail. I have re-ticked it as at least apparently the deleted items would be kept on the server rather than completely disappear. Is Thunderbird a good alternative?

I have tried copying an email to a folder in Explorer and it works a treat - that is a great piece of information which I would have used a lot in the past.