Thanks

new build mystery shut downs

Well the new system id fast, very fast. Sooo fast I have missed it in the act of shutting down and rebooting all by it's self.

I noticed it FRi after struggling to get my free upgrade to Acronis TI15 from TI 14 home up and working. It may be associated with a power down state of some sort. It has not actually happened while I am paying attention to it.

I am still new to W7 (waaay behind the times) and during trouble shooting I noticed some big differences from XP.

- The task scheduler has a whole sss lot of entries. Are these mostly stuff that was hidden in XP or a new way of doing system things??

- The event viewer has several times the events that my old xp machine has for a day.

- The custom filter when applied often shows no events at all, just a invalid data message id 13 I think. If I choose the option to save data and then open the saved log viola!! it is populated with my requested data. BTW,Does anybody know how to retain column widths?

Re the reboots: there seems to be several minutes between a 'system was shutdown unexpectedly' message and anything before.
    I am still investigating no help requested on this (yet )
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To help ? - go Start - type sysdm.cpl - press enter and under the Advanced tab - Startup and Recovery/Settings uncheck the box for Auto Restart - OK and reboot.

If you are unable to uncheck the Auto Restart box because of the shutdowns/restarts, you can select that option after tapping F8 as you switch on.

You may get a BSOD but it should give you an error code.

If you don't get a BSOD then reinstate the Auto Restart then go Start - type msconfig - press enter and disable all of the items under the Startup tab - Apply - OK and reboot.

If that stops the auto shutdown and restart then enable just one Startup item at a time until it reoccurs.

If disabling the Startup items has no effect then you may have to go under the Services tab - check the box to Hide all MS services then Disable all - OK - reboot and do the same if effective.

Because you'll have more non MS services than Startup items, you can re-enable so many at a time until it reoccurs and then disable those, re-enabling one at a time.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-21 at 18:17.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    ...Sooo fast I have missed it in the act of shutting down and rebooting all by it's self...
    Check your RAM MemTest86
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wavy,

This is a shot in the dark, but I had similar problems with a new build last year, until I changed my backup destination from an internal (2nd) HDD to an external USB HDD.

Zig

Thanks
    Zig, doesn't Windows still take snapshots into memory of directory tree[s] of all internal drives? If so, maybe a clash between snapshot and what actually is -- leads to BSOD? Just guessing, 'cause I'm going back to Windows 3.1 days, and nowAdays Windows doesn't take such snapshots into memory?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Sudo15
    Good advice, I may get to that point, thanks .

Coochin
    I left it running with event viewer running so I will know if it has done it again. I did a short windows startup memory test, NTF. I will do a longer one tonight w/ Memtest86

Zig
    What backup destination was that?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What backup destination was that?
    Doesn't matter, as long as it's on an external drive.

Zig

Thanks
    Update

Passed 7 hours of memtest.
    I am still inclined to think TI has a hand in this. I will test further this weekend.
    As of yet no one has commented on the observations I had questions on:

I am still new to W7 (waaay behind the times) and during trouble shooting I noticed some big differences from XP.

- The task scheduler has a whole sss lot of entries. Are these mostly stuff that was hidden in XP or a new way of doing system things??

- The event viewer has several times the events that my old xp machine has for a day.

- The custom filter when applied often shows no events at all, just a invalid data message id 13 I think. If I choose the option to save data and then open the saved log viola!! it is populated with my requested data. BTW,Does anybody know how to retain column widths?
    David