New Lounger
    Thanks

Browsers locked in secure mode - cant browse

My Daughter has picked up some malware. She writes blogs and posts them to a number of sites including YouTube. This past week she booted up to be presented with a screen saying that the certificate was not valid. A quick check showed that Zone Alarm was not working and the computer date had been rolled back 4 years. In trying to clean what ever it was had disabled the usb ports so I couldn't use them to run cleaner. I finally was able to get in via safe-mode and run malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy. By the fourth scan I came up clean, however neither Firefox (her preferred) or IE will do any unsecured browsing. they both revert all entries to https, which of course fails. I have not had much luck trying to run this to ground. I found a reference to possible problems with an MS patch, but no specific patch number listed.
    Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if this is elsewhere, but I couldn't find any posts using my various search parameters.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    At Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, uncheck "Use a proxy server ...".

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hers is set the same way this computer is, use system settings. I changed hers and it didn't help. I noted an extension on the url ?gws_rd=ssl and have searched the registry for this line, no luck. I believe it is hidden in some setting since it hits both ie and firefox.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Use system settings is a Firefox option to use proxy settings from Internet Options in Control Panel or Internet Explorer. Did you check Connections, LAN settings there?

If gws_rd=ssl only appears after a Google home page URL, it's normal: when i visit google the url suddenly shows ?gws_rd=ssl in the string. why?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It has never done that before and nothing takes the orange secure page icon from the bar away. Also other sites come up as https as well.
    Last edited by richwl; 2014-12-21 at 18:12.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Eureka. Ran ADWCleaner and it found some more stuff. Cleaned that and all is well.