New Lounger
    Thanks

Updates (Win7) stopped - troubleshoot wizard stopped too

My Windows 7 Home Premium running MSE antivirus ran just fine with few problems from 2009 until now. Now I have lost the ability to update the Win7 or its MSE.
    I went to the Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Action Center > where it tells me the Windows Update is turned off. I've changed its settings to the auto (I prefer the 'Let me decide when to install', but it doesn't matter which I choose - no joy). I then went to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Troubleshooting > System and Security > Fix Problems with Windows Update. This brought up the Windows Update Wizard. When I clicked on 'Next' it told me the Wizard wasn't working either. It actually said, "An unexpected error has occurred. The Troubleshooting Wizard can't continue." I'm a dumb old man who sure needs some help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go Start - type mrt.exe - press enter and opt for the full scan.

If that doesn't find anything then open a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd - right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and at the prompt enter sfc /scannow and let us know what it reports.

Also check to see what Event Viewer reports with the time stamp for when this occurred http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-22 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Elliott View Post
    ...Now I have lost the ability to update the Win7 or its MSE...
    I have run Tweaking.com Windows Repair (All In One) to fix Windows Updates problems, and many other problems, on many customers' computers during the past few years.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, we might want to suggest particular choices within Windows Repair (All in One), 'cause if a new user flags 'em all, the Morloks may appear before computer's done.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Coochin, we might want to suggest particular choices within Windows Repair (All in One), 'cause if a new user flags 'em all, the Morloks may appear before computer's done.
    Roland,

I know you mean well with your "particular choices" suggestion but I have found it best to not alter the default choices in the repair settings part of Windows Repair. My reasoning is that the author of the program is obviously an expert in the field of repairing Windows' problems, so "who am I to argue?" with the defaults.

I take the same approach, with certain exceptions (such as with ADWcleaner), when it comes to malware removal.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm with Roland on this as WR isn't a one size fits all as there have been after effects for some http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php?board=8.0 but before running any program that can make major changes to your registry, it's always best to create an external system image first as your restore points may not be functional afterwards.

It isn't necessary to check all of the options in WR.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...It isn't necessary to check all of the options in WR...
    Nor is it advisable (or necessary) to uncheck any of those "options" (they are not "options"; they are checkboxes [tick/untick], used when there are multiple inclusive choices to be made available to the user; an "option" is AKA a "radio button" which is used when there are only exclusive choices available, that is selecting option A will rule out option B etc.).

I had thought that I had made my point perfectly clear in my #5 post, but apparently there needs to be further explanation.

"I have found it best to not alter the default choices in the repair settings part of Windows Repair" is my opinion based on having used Windows Repair to fix problems, particularly with Windows Updates, on many (more than one hundred) customers' Windows computers during the past few years.

Before I discovered Windows Repair I would have to manually troubleshoot and run fixes for various Windows problems, but not any more since Windows Repair's default repair settings take care of all that for me.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The "option" is the freedom to choose whether to run that fix or not - such as if you just wanted to reset the permissions, it's just the first two options - so why run all of them, but if you go back to the opening post - it isn't just about WUs.

Those symptoms suggest an infection to me and WR won't fix that.

Thanks
    Coochin, yes, correct, I remember now that certain checkmarks are already made when going into the repair module of WR. I will leave as is the next time I use it. I'll add checkmarks that apply to the specific need at the time. Thanks for the heads up!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...it isn't just about WUs...
    Certain of the fixes pre-ticked in WR are likely to have some impact on WU, e.g.: Reset Registry Permissions, Reset File Permissions, Register System Files, etc. Best not second-guess the expert (the author of the program, who obviously has done his homework).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree WR can repair files etc. but we'll need to wait until Glen gets back to see what he has done/found.

An infection usually blocks downloads as a defence against any anti malware tools being installed and while they can still sometimes be installed in Safe Mode with Networking - if it is an infection, it would depend upon where it has embedded itself.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks