5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linksys router question

I have an E2000 Cisco/Linksys router. I am connected using "Cisco Connect". I discovered today that my firmware, which is 1.0.04 build 7, can be upgraded to 1.0.06 build 1.

My question is as follows:
    The upgrade installation says it will install Linksys Smart wi-fi, and uninstall Cisco Connect as part of the process.

I don't want to shoot myself in the foot, make a firmware upgrade, and not have Cisco Connect to fall back on if something goes wrong using my router.

Has anyone made this kind of upgrade? If so, can you give some advice to a non-techie like me?

Thank you,
    Dick

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    General advice on upgrades: if it's working fine, don' t upgrade. I've not had any problems using this approach.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-12-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul. I'm glad I cancelled the installation executable when I saw what it was going to do.

I started down the path of upgrading my router firmware after reading a "How to Geek" posting today about doing such a firmware upgrade.

cheers to you also,
    Dick

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Linksys Smart Wi-Fi used to be called Cisco Connect Cloud: http://store.linksys.com/cisco-conne...VVviewprod.htm

When they forced the cloud version on users as an auto-update a couple of years ago they suffered a backlash which meant they then had to provide detailed firmware downgrade instructions for upset customers: UPDATE: Answering Our Customers’ Questions about Cisco Connect Cloud

Unless you really need to be able to reconfigure your router from the other side of the world, you're probably better off without the upgrade.

Bruce

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-12-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce:
    Thank you for the helpful information. Between your advice and Paul's, I can see that it's better to leave well-enough alone.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of Santa's "helpers" here at the Forum,
    Dick