New Lounger
    Thanks

Recover PST files?

I recently had a registry cleaning mishap, and couldn't open Outlook. When I figured that part out, I found a clean install of Outlook, with none of my emails or address book entries. When I run search on ".pst", plenty of files show, but I have no idea how to put them back where they were. I'm running Windows7, and the Outlook 2007 that came in Office Enterprise 2007. Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Usually all one has to do is use Outlook's Import of the saved .pst file.
    Last edited by Berton; 2014-12-22 at 16:57.

Thanks
    Do you mean what directory they go into? If so, some others will come along shortly and give you the answer ['cause I haven't used Outlook since WFW 3.11 & earlier].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fridgitator View Post
    I recently had a registry cleaning mishap, and couldn't open Outlook. When I figured that part out, I found a clean install of Outlook, with none of my emails or address book entries. When I run search on ".pst", plenty of files show, but I have no idea how to put them back where they were. I'm running Windows7, and the Outlook 2007 that came in Office Enterprise 2007. Thanks.
    From memory Outlook 2007 stores the PST files at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook or C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook. You could copy the PST files to a folder within your Documents folder, e.g.: "Outlook Files" then import them into Outlook using Outlook's account settings dialog.

From what I have seen on customers' computers Outlook 2010 and 2013 store the PST files in Documents\Outlook Files.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fridgitator View Post
    I recently had a registry cleaning mishap
    Nope, can't see how that's possible if you don't do things that aren't required.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    fridgitator: ...I recently had a registry cleaning mishap...
    Hey friend! I've been using registry cleaner for some time now. If you would like some quick help with settings, start a new thread, mention what program, what settings involve Outlook [which we will unclick!] -- I'll help you set up a safe registry cleaning OPeration, if you like
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I agree with Coochin solution, you first need to move on the location where your pst files are stored by default in order to check whether your file exists there or not. The default location of your PST file is:
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    or
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook.
    After checking the PST file, open Microsoft Outlook and import Outlook data file you wish to open in your Outlook.
    I am not sure that data within the PST file would be completely in its original integrity. May be, the registry cleanup made some changes in the Outlook PST file and impacted in term of data loss or corruption. So, before importing, I will also recommend you to perform a repair on the data file.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-06-08 at 05:05. Reason: Removing spam URL

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a lesson here for everyone. Use an imaging program to back the computer. Then a simple restore fixes everything.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The Documents Folder on my Win7 contains an Outlook Files subFolder that has 3 .pst files. Since I never finished the setup by adding an Account the files are quite small, 265KB.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    An empty Outlook file is 256k. Safe to delete all 3.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter2150 View Post
    There is a lesson here for everyone. Use an imaging program to back the computer. Then a simple restore fixes everything.
    I use Acronis True Image, there are many pay-fors and many freebies one can use. As you indicated, the best one is the one you actually use to create a restorable backup.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Recover Outlook PST files

Hi fridgitator,

In this case, your PST files are located under old username (Outlook Profile). Search PST file at default location, given below:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook or C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft

After finding PST file, you can save at specified location. Now configure PST file with new Outlook profile for gaining accessibility with old emails of Outlook 2007 in Office Enterprise edition.