New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 7 Home - Still More Frustrations

I am still battling the problem of getting Win 7 to let me select where I want to put downloaded files. Win 7 keeps telling me I have to get the 'Administrator' to let me put things in disc partitions and folders (directories) of my choice. Well, I am logged into Win 7 as an 'Administrator' when I get these messages but apparently that isn't enough.

Is there some 'super administrator' buried somewhere within Win 7 that I haven't found? Alternatively, has Win 7 somehow piled so many bureaucratic security controls into its innards that a user - even if an 'Administrator' - isn't allowed to do anything?

Alternatively, could this be some kind of 'security' nonsense that one has to undo on a disc partition by disc partition or folder by folder basis?

Help! (and thanks, in advance, for any assistance).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik37 View Post
    I am still battling the problem of getting Win 7 to let me select where I want to put downloaded files. Win 7 keeps telling me I have to get the 'Administrator' to let me put things in disc partitions and folders (directories) of my choice. Well, I am logged into Win 7 as an 'Administrator' when I get these messages but apparently that isn't enough.

Is there some 'super administrator' buried somewhere within Win 7 that I haven't found? Alternatively, has Win 7 somehow piled so many bureaucratic security controls into its innards that a user - even if an 'Administrator' - isn't allowed to do anything?

Alternatively, could this be some kind of 'security' nonsense that one has to undo on a disc partition by disc partition or folder by folder basis?

Help! (and thanks, in advance, for any assistance).
    I run Windows 7 as a standard user, and I don't have any difficulty putting things where I want them, with the exception of within the Windows folder, or the root of C: drive. But I can get there, also, by invoking the Administrator.

I have a 110GB partition dedicated to downloads, and a couple or three dozen folders and subfolders. I'm not sure I understand what's going on. What is the wording of these messages from Windows?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    bbearren, it might be that his choices might not be allowable under Windows. Another similar post had a person wanting to download into one of the child-directories under Windows or was it into Program Files directory, I can't remember which.
    I created on my cdrive a "Downloads" directory and oneByone pointed my programs to that directory. I completely left alone the default My Documents confederation, I simply do not use it.
    I also have icons pointing to the MS default download directory as well as my own, side by side, 'cause some programs insist on using that MS default directory.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Henrik37 (2014-12-26)