Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

off line security scanner or use safe mode w/networking if possible

Is there a security scanner I can download to USB or DVD on my good working computer and then run it off line on an infected computer?

Or another possibility: should I just use safe mode w/networking to install malwarebytes or run an on-line scanner if possible

The organization I volunteer at has a seriously infected computer and I'll be picking it up shortly to get it back to normal: security & maintenance both

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Kaspersky has a rescue bootable disk you could create http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/4162 or you could download and run either MBAM or ESET's Online Scanner in Safe Mode with Networking.

Kaspersky's disk is usually for when a machine won't boot up because of infection but can be used any time, although it can take a number of hours to complete its scan.

I would prefer ESET over MBAM and that would be my first and personal choice/option where the machine is bootable.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-23 at 12:57.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-12-23)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the computer and it is bootable. Since I'm an MBAM I'll start off with MBAM

Right now I'm changing the BIOS battery. I had asked them over the phone whether or the date & time were correct and they assured me it was just right. Well, I guess if you go back to the BIOS original date of 12/9/2008 & time of 12:13 AM it would be ok and when booting up the computer there was a low battery alert: oh well, I'll just take care of it and learn I need to see things for myself

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Cmptrgy,

Don't forget about Windows Defender Offline. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I often use an Avira Rescue CD but these days usually run the Avira Rescue 'CD' from a USB stick for greater convenience.

Like Sudo15 describes the Kaspersky disk... a scan with the Avira Rescue CD can be quite s..l..o..w to complete.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas (Happy holidays if you prefer) and will have a Happy New Year

Replacing the BIOS battery does hold the correct date & time; however, the following message that was showing up every time the computer boots up still persists. The office has 3 other same make/model (Dell OptiPlex 755 Win7 Enterprise SP1 Lunch Box) computers and each one of them report the same message upon boot up
    Alert! System battery is low continues upon startup
    Strike the F1 key to continue. F2 to run the setup utility
    Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics
    Since the same message appears on all 4 computers, I’d like to believe that there is a BIOS setting that would cure that warning message but I can’t find out what it is. The BIOS information I have on this computer along with another on of the other 3 is Dell Inc. A12 12/09/2008, a third computer has Dell Inc. A19 05/31/2011, I don’t know what it is on the fourth computer.
    I have run the onboard diagnostics twice and each time it reports Pre-boot System Assessment complete. No Diagnostic Utility Partition identified. Please select OK to reboot your system
    Additional information: All 4 computers were donated to the organization from a bank last year and had XP (maybe XP Pro) and those messages showed up then. The person who was in charge of the computers never addressed the boot up warning messages and has left the organization but fortunately he did upgrade them to Win7 Enterprise SP1.
    Anyway if I have to live with this situation I will, but I’d like to fix it if I could

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Dell has a newer BIOS update you could try http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...driverId=2DWTY but this seems to be a long standing problem with Dell - and not just with your model.

Are you changing the CMOS batteries in all of them ?

These are what resolved for some http://en.community.dell.com/support...3514/t/1915445 and http://www.gresk.com/2012/01/low-bat...-optiplex.html

Hope these help.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-27 at 11:24.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-12-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15, the links are interesting and I'd like to find out how to reset the motherboard jumper but I can't find the motherboard diagram for this computer so for the time being I'll live with what's going on as the computer is running fine right now after having cleared out the infections which by the way I did in fact use ESET before MBAM. I did not change the CMOS batteries in the other computers as I wanted to see how to handle this one first and I'll leave them alone for now. What's even more interesting right now though is when I picked up the computer the time/date had reverted back to its original date; come to think of it when I did correct the time/date with that CMOS battery still in, the time/date didn't hold. But with the new one in it does hold. So I'd say that's ok even thought the Alert message still appears.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have a look through the tech manual - it should have something on that http://www.manualslib.com/manual/624...iplex-755.html

Diagnostics if you need them http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...ex-755/manuals
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-27 at 14:06.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Sudo15.
    I will consider resetting the current CMOS settings however it appears to me that both the (PSWD) and CMOS (RTC_RST) jumpers need to be removed
    --- Note: There isn't a BIOS password, so in my mind the (PSWD) jumper doesn't need to be touched and all I should have to do is remove the CMOS (RTC_RST) jumper for 5 seconds and then place it back into position the way it was
    I am not a hardware person when it comes to computers but I am mechanically inclined as I have worked on equipment at work over the years so I know I'll be able to do the work mechanically
    But I need to be confident enough to assure myself I will not cause "damage" to the BIOS

Do you know whether or not I am understanding the following procedures ok?
    Reset the current CMOS settings Page 16
    Locate the password (PSWD) and CMOS (RTC_RST) jumpers on the system board
    --- This I can do
    Remove the password jumper plug from its pins
    --- I can do this if it makes sense to do
    Place the password jumper plug on the RTC_RST pins and wait approximately 5 seconds
    --- I can do this by removing the RTC_RST
    Remove the jumper plug from the RTC_RST pins and place it back on the password pins
    --- So by following these steps, I'll just be interchanging jumpers?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can't find that on Page 16 of the tech manual but reconnecting the jumper in that way drains the CMOS of its settings.

Found the MB layout http://www.manualslib.com/manual/624...?page=5#manual
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-27 at 20:00.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used this to investigate CMOS items (Thank you for that as its been very helpful)
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...uide_en-us.pdf
    Since this is a Dell OptiPlex 755 Win7 Enterprise SP1 Lunch Box style computer, I Selected Ultra Small Form Factor
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...uide_en-us.pdf
    Went to Clearing CMOS Settings on page 16
    Step 3 is where I got the instructions I included in post #10
    I also clicked on Jumper Settings, which brought me to page 15
    When I reopen the computer I’ll be able to determine which one of the Jumper Settings apply to this computer but my main concern is do I understand the procedure properly before I go there?

On the other website you provided for me
    http://www.gresk.com/2012/01/low-bat...-optiplex.html
    It states if clearing the system event log in the BIOS doesn't help, then you would want to use the RTCRST jumper to reset the NVRAM: Use the jumper from the PSWD jumpers by putting it on the RTCRST posts
    --- I cleared the system event log in the BIOS, the date/time reverted back to its original 12/9/2008 12:13 AM, I reset to today’s correct date/time and exited the setup. As the computer was booting into Windows, the Alert! message showed up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From what I understand of that, you've got it right.

Just lifting the PSWD jumper clears the Password while placing it onto the RTC_RST pins for ~5 secs clears the CMOS and then you just stick the PSWD jumper back on its own pins.

You would then have the choice of using the earlier posted link to update the BIOS, although I'm not sure which program you could use to create the bootable USB.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK sounds good. I plugged in the computers service tag number on Dell's website and the BIOS updates you found are both included; they are A22: Release date 04 Jan 2013 Last Updated 21 Mar 2014 and A19: Release date 30 Jun 2011 Last Updated 21 Jun 2013
    The one on this computer is A12 12/09/2008 and the computer had XP (maybe XP Pro)
    Now that it has Windows 7 maybe it's a good idea to update the BIOS and I would like to go with 22
    However I'm going to request that they allow me to "experiment" on the fourth computer as I don't have experience on updating a BIOS yet; the fourth computer isn't being used in the office at this time

Well I just noticed another issue on this computer and maybe it's normal but I need an opinion about it. The built in Windows 7 Bubble screen saver is in use but when it comes on after a minute, the system time stops. Balanced Power Option is in use and the display turns off after 10 minutes of inactivity. When re-activating the computer, the system time returns to normal. So for that 9 minutes the system time doesn't change but stays at whatever it was when the Bubble screen saver kicks in; is that normal?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hope you are using the term "experiment" loosely as when not done correctly can brick a computer.

I don't use a screen saver but I wouldn't have thought the clock should stop - unless that is normal for the Dell.

Go Start - type power options and press enter (or All Control Panel Items/Power Options) where you can change the plan settings so that the display never turns off if you have a decent screen saver, but updating the BIOS could resolve that

I don't have to worry about burn out with a laptop and have mine set to High Power and never to do anything when running on AC.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-28 at 20:46.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-12-29)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast