Thread: Folder Icons

New Lounger
    Thanks

Folder Icons

Hi everyone, I am using Windows 8.1 and I am just trying to make a few of my File Explorer Folder icons look a bit more distinctive.
    When I right click on a Folder, I go to Properties and then the Customise Tab.
    I then click on the Change Icon button and select a different icon, click OK and Apply, but I still have the same default yellow folder.
    I have also tried browsing for a different image and that does not work either.
    A bit of help please
    David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    David,

Welcome to the Lounge as a New Poster!

I just tried it and it worked fine.
    ChangeIcon.JPG
    I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 64 Bit running with an Administrator account.
    Could you provide more information about your exact version of Windows 8.1 and the Account access level?

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    David,

Welcome to the Lounge as a New Poster!

I just tried it and it worked fine.
    ChangeIcon.JPG
    I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 64 Bit running with an Administrator account.
    Could you provide more information about your exact version of Windows 8.1 and the Account access level?

HTH
    Hi RetiredGeek, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.
    Operating System
    Windows 8.1 (x64) (build 9600)
    Install Language: English (United Kingdom)
    System Locale: English (United Kingdom)
    Installed: 11/12/2014 09:42:59
    Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot
    System Model TOSHIBA SATELLITE P30W-B PSDP2E-00G00FEN
    Enclosure Type: Notebook
    I am completely up to date with Windows Updates.
    I am the only user and therefore am the Administrator.
    I have just tried changing the Music Folder and that worked, but didn't work with my Programs Folder. See attached images.
    The Programs folder did allow me to select a different folder, I then clicked OK and Apply but it didn't work. So perhaps I am trying to change folders that can't be changed?
    David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    David,

Quote Originally Posted by DavidPriest View Post
    The Programs folder did allow me to select a different folder, I then clicked OK and Apply but it didn't work. So perhaps I am trying to change folders that can't be changed?
    David
    That would seem to be the case!
    programfoldersecurity.JPGprogramfoldersecurity.JPG

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    David,

That would seem to be the case!
    programfoldersecurity.JPGprogramfoldersecurity.JPG

HTH
    Many thanks again. have a great Christmas
    David

Thanks
    I don't have the customize tab - I've looked for a setting to restore this but without success - any clues?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I don't have the customize tab - I've looked for a setting to restore this but without success - any clues?
    Hi, I have not tried this and it involves registry changes, so if you do proceed, please take care and make a Restore Point/Registry backup before proceeding. The following is copied from elsewhere so I am unable to help with further registry problems.
    Note that the system folders such as Windows, Program Files, My Documents, My Pictures, My Music do not have the customize tab. This is by design, and cannot be changed.
    If the Customize tab is missing for each and every folder in the hard disk (non-system folders), follow these steps to get the Customize tab back:-
    Open Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shellex \ PropertySheetHandlers
    Create a sub-key named {ef43ecfe-2ab9-4632-bf21-58909dd177f0}
    Close Registry Editor and restart Windows. If the Customize tab is still missing, navigate to this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
    -and-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
    In the right-pane, double-click the following values and set their Value-data to 0. If a value does not exist, ignore and proceed further.

NoCustomizeThisFolder
    NoCustomizeWebView
    ClassicShell

Restart Windows.
    Hope you get it resolved and Merry Christmas
    David

Thanks
    Thanks David, I'm not sure I want to go through this to get something I didn't know I had no access to anyway. Might have another look next year!

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, here is a related question for ya -- for some years now, my cdrive has been named "S01_C" and my ddrive named "S01_D." Now, after I diddled with EasyBCD, ddrive is named "Local Disk," and although the old name [S01_D] is recognized in Acronis Disk Director 12, recognized in MS Disk Management, the explorer.exe only recognizes "Local Disk," do you have any solution for me?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    RolandJS,

1. Click on the Start orb.
    2. Click on Computer to open an Explorer window.
    3. Right-click on the C: drive (or D: drive).
    4. Choose Rename from the context menu.
    rename.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, I've already tried that, the attempted name change did not stick. Admin-run DOS-box label command said I changed it, however explorer.exe still shows "Local Disk" as the name for ddrive. Elsewhere, utilities show the name as: S01_D -- go figure. Do I need to do something within EasyBCD, since that is where the Local Disk came from? EasyBCD also did that to cdrive, however, I was able to change cdrive without a problem.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    ...I've already tried that, the attempted name change did not stick...
    You can also set or change a "drive label" in the "Properties" dialog for the drive. In "Computer" right-click the drive then left-click "Properties". In the below screenshot enter the desired label (in my case my C:\ drive is named "WIN7PRO64") then click the "Apply" button.
    C_Lable.JPG
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, I guess I need to go into EasyBCD and reverse something. Even your good idea in your earlier post did not work -- something somewhere is preventing RetiredGeek's and your ideas from working.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Coochin, I guess I need to go into EasyBCD and reverse something. Even your good idea in your earlier post did not work -- something somewhere is preventing RetiredGeek's and your ideas from working.
    That's really odd.

I don't use EasyBCD but from what I have read about it there might well be something in its settings that is overruling Windows drive label setting.

I use BootIt Bare Metal because apart from being a boot manager it also has partition management and drive imaging. BootItBM allows me to edit the BCD, but I have rarely needed to do so.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.