Thread: Bsod

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bsod

I maybe posting this question at the wrong place but here goes. I am having problems with blue screens coming out of SLEEP every three days or so. The BSOD are only visible a few seconds so it is difficult to read them. I have updated software drivers. I am disconnecting external hard drive before putting to sleep. If that does not work, I will stop using SLEEP. Windows 7.....Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by lost_n_cyberspace; 2014-12-24 at 11:55.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Boot up into the Advanced Boot options by tapping F8 (usually) as you switch on and using the cursor keys scroll down to Disable auto restart on system failure and press enter.

Continue using Sleep until it reoccurs where the BSOD will remain for you to read the Stop code and post that, but sometimes all it may need is a cold boot.

This is done by shutting down, remove all power sources and hold the power button in for ~30secs prior to restarting.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Boot up into the Advanced Boot options by tapping F8 (usually) as you switch on and using the cursor keys scroll down to Disable auto restart on system failure and press enter.

Continue using Sleep until it reoccurs where the BSOD will remain for you to read the Stop code and post that, but sometimes all it may need is a cold boot.

This is done by shutting down, remove all power sources and hold the power button in for ~30secs prior to restarting.
    A little confused....After removing all power sources, then I plug back in....and then hold the power button in for 30 sec prior to restarting. Is that correct?

tks in advance

Thanks
    You can reach the same setting via:
    Control Panel > Advanced System Settings
    Under System Failure, uncheck the box next to Automatically Restart

Quote Originally Posted by lost_n_cyberspace View Post
    A little confused....After removing all power sources, then I plug back in....and then hold the power button in for 30 sec prior to restarting. Is that correct?
    No, hold the power button in for 30 seconds with all power sources unplugged to drain all residual power. I doubt if this will help in this case but its worth a shot.

See http://hexus.net/tech/news/software/...leep-problems/
    For a procedure to get sleep diagnostics that may help.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lost_n_cyberspace View Post
    Apologies - perhaps I could have described that better.

I had forgot to add that Event Viewer should have recorded these momentarily BSODs, so look for what could be listed in Critical but will certainly be listed in Errors with a date and time stamp for when the BSODs occurred.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    tks for all the help. Even at my age I learn something about computing everyday.