New Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox 34: Top uses too much real estate

[Windows 7 64 bit]

When Firefox loads I get the window shown at the left in the photo below, with lots of blank space at the top. If I display the menu bar (middle in photo) there is less space used at the top, and if I then hide the menu bar, I get the smallest amount of unused space, leaving the most space available for webpages. I can't figure out what or why the default loading of Firefox leaves so much blank space at the top. Any ideas?

firefox.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Classic Theme Restorer, available from Addons for Firefox, and use full screen, which leaves the home button in the top left corner. You might need Classic Toolbar Buttons as well.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the title bar showing at the very top of the window. It shows the name of the page/site I have open. I just figure that is why that area is reserved.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Maximize the browser window and the extra space at the top will go away.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a problem with my themes as the graphics of the themes disappeared. I reinstalled the themes and the graphics are back, but still have the same problem on loading Firefox. Maximizing the window does get rid of the extra space and on "restore down" it's still fixed. My question is why does Firefox even have this problem in the first place? It does not do this on my laptop (Win 8.1.) To be honest, I don't remember if the problem began with version 34 or if it began with one of the last updates to 33.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have FF 34 on W8.1 and there is no space at the top. Maybe it's your themes?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My W8.1 is fine, The problem is on my W7 PC. I did reinstall my themes and even used the FireFox default theme and the behavior is the same on each.

[Edit:] I stand corrected. The problem is also on my Win 8.1 laptop. I didn't notice it earlier because I load FireFox full screen on my laptop (win 8.1) due to the smaller screen size compared to my desktop. When FireFox loads on either computer at less than full screen, the problem exists. Once FF goes to full screen, the problem disappears.

[Edit2] I traced the issue to one of my extensions - AniWeather (by Weather.com). I'll either have to live with it or find another weather app. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by ronald11103; 2014-12-27 at 11:39.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Who cares what the weather's going to be? Just poke your head out the door.

cheers, Paul

Thanks

I am still getting the hang of the newer FF (main box on 10.02. ) For the original request:
    Right click on bar and choose customize ( or left on 3 horizontal bar on right side of (mine at least) tool bar). On bottom of popup unselect title bar and unshow menu bar.

For your app, drag it some where else whilst in customize.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.