New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Windows 98SE CPU problem.

Hello reader,

I've got a windows 98 SE problem:

I installed windows 98 on a Thinkpad T-21 which has a Pentium III around 600 Mhz if not more, a few days later I moved the hdd to an other laptop, a Compaq Armada E500 and windows started to install and (I think) change cpu drivers, it suddenly talked about 'installing Pentium II stuff bla.'

A few hours later I moved it back to the T-21 and those E500 drivers are still there ! Z-cpu now only gives 200mhz ! and it is really slowing down the laptop, I only expirienced this recently for some reason, (I did the driver swapping a few days ago.)

Could I have any help with this ? is there a way to change the drivers, or do I have to make a dirty or clean install ?

I can give you a list of system drivers if you want.

Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you check the BIOS to see what your bus speed and multiplier is? It may have reset to the failsafe defaults (200MHz) and you just need to set the proper multiplier to get the speed back.

Thanks
    If you ever have to do a reinstall, you can do a dirty reinstall, I think you only have to hide [move] the command.com and win.com temporarily to "fool" the install DVD, if my memory serves me. [Sentence removed - didn't help] Windows just might give you some problems before it settles down. Keep us posted! I was using Windows 95-to-98-to-98SE not that long ago.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-12-27 at 08:02. Reason: removed my bad phrasing
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Did you check the BIOS to see what your bus speed and multiplier is? It may have reset to the failsafe defaults (200MHz) and you just need to set the proper multiplier to get the speed back.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    If you ever have to do a reinstall, you can do a dirty reinstall, I think you only have to hide [move] the command.com and win.com temporarily to "fool" the install DVD, if my memory serves me. [Sentence removed - didn't help] Windows just might give you some problems before it settles down. Keep us posted! I was using Windows 95-to-98-to-98SE not that long ago.
    Hello,

yes, thanks for the help, but the problem solved itself for whatever reason when I turned it on after 2 days without power and having the battery removed.

Z-CPU: Intel Pentium III 800Mhz "Real speed": 796.6Mhz
    Family: 6 Ext: 6
    model: 8 ext: 8
    Stepping: A
    Multiplier: X8.0

Darn, that's fast !