Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

how to access administrator permissions

does anyone know how to access an administrators account to make changes in certain areas?.... not sure if I'm explaining this problem correctly. OS is windows 7 home premium.

i.e I sign on to windows as administrator and want to create a restore point but it's shaded and tells me the administrator has turned off the permission....telling me to contact the administrator ...going round in circles... I tried changing the account status in user accounts and added a another account as administrator but neither one allows me the capability still.

Any clues or comments are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Dream; 2014-12-25 at 09:17.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's on on my W8.1 system. Maybe it's turned off on the disks - click on the disk and select Configure.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    1. Click the Start orb.
    2. In the Search programs and files text box type sysdm.cpl.
    3. When sysdm.cpl appears in the search list, right-click on it and choose the Run as administrator option.
    4. Click on the Yes button to dismiss the User Account Control dialog that appears.
    5. Click on the System Protection tab of the System Properties dialog that appears.
    6. In the Protection Settings area, look at the System Restore protection level for the drive(s) you are interested in.
    7. Use the Configure button to change the protection level and amount of space reserved for System Restore.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Wasn't there a built-into-Windows tool to activate default Administrator account? Windows Club's Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2 and 3 [for W8] are just two of several 3rd source tools. There is also a DOS-based tool as well [geek-interface for sure!]. I very seldom go into my default Admin acct.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS
    Wasn't there a built-into-Windows tool to activate default Administrator account?
    Have a look at Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7, 8, or Vista.

Thanks
    You do not need the default Administrator account enabled. I don't use System Restore; I turn it off. However, System Restore is, by default, only enabled on the system drive (usually C). If you want to set a Restore Point of any other drives/partitions, they must first be enabled in System > Properties > System Protection tab. Once System Protection is enabled for the drive/partitions you want, you can set a Restore Point the usual way.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Wasn't there a built-into-Windows tool to activate default Administrator account? Windows Club's Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2 and 3 [for W8] are just two of several 3rd source tools. There is also a DOS-based tool as well [geek-interface for sure!]. I very seldom go into my default Admin acct.
    Enabling the default Administrator account is not necessary. Only the system drive/partition has System Protection turned on by default. Any other drives/partitions must first have System Protection enabled, and this can be done by any account in the Administrators group.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    thank you for all your input....very much appreciated. I, too, seldom had need to access admin. until yesterday when I was doing back up and needed to set a restore point when I came across this problem. I'm not very "geek" oriented and have good but limited knowledge/experience.

yes I'm set up as the default administrator but somehow down the historical line a change was made unbeknownst to me that the function setting was turned off.

I have attempted the "run as administrator" in system protection properties and configure and failed each time...perhaps I missed something in the commands.

...will give it another shot as per your advice....thanks a whole bunch and I wish you a very happy Christmas holiday.

Thanks
    I second the idea of staying away from using default admin acct, unless absolutely necessary by an experienced Windows tech. It might be a good idea to get rid of the extra admin accounts created trying to solve the original problem. Having just one default admin acct, and the normal accounts work best.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    Perhaps my instructions weren't too clear. Have a look at the detailed instructions here: How to Turn System Protection On or Off in Windows 7.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    What is System Protection? Are we talking about System Restore Points? Let's use specific names along with specific EXEs where possible My pea-brain is overloaded with shortcuts to all sorts of Windows 7 Pro EXEs, so, what's one more?

Thanks

Thanks
    Never mind earlier post, found System Protection. Ok, I've been systematically making System Restore Points at least once daily. And my tweaking.com's Registry Backup module makes a registry backup once daily.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Registry backup is a waste of time IMO. You can't restore it when Windows is running because you don't have permission to write to half of it and you can't restore it by booting from a Windows CD because the registry is then offline. You are better off making an image backup regularly.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Registry backup is a waste of time IMO. You can't restore it when Windows is running because you don't have permission to write to half of it and you can't restore it by booting from a Windows CD because the registry is then offline. You are better off making an image backup regularly.
    Agreed. If I'm doing some exploratory registry editing, I'll generally export the particular key to the desktop first for safe-keeping, but I don't backup the registry. It's in my regular drive images, as you pointed out.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast