Thanks

"PayPal" phishing email

I know this is a phising email because it came to the wrong email address (an email address of mine that is not registered with PayPal). Beware!!!

I logged into my PayPal account the usual way, and there are no issues with my account of any kind, and no restrictions in place.

PayPal

Identity Issue PP-658-119-347
    Secure Transaction

Please complete the attached form to verify your Profile information and restore your account access.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal Information Profile

Make sure you enter the information accurately, and according to the formats required.
    Fill in all the required fields.

Dear customer ,

As part of our efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for the online community, we regularly screen
    account activity. Our review of your account has identified an issue regarding its safe use. We have placed a
    restriction on your account as a precaution.

To lift the restriction we will require some further information from you.

If, once we review your further information and we're confident that the use of your account does not present a
    safety risk to our service and customers, we'll be happy to reinstate your account.

We have sent you an attachment which contains all the necessary steps in order to restore your account
    access. Download and open it in your browser. After we have gathered the necessary information, you will regain
    full access to your account.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very sincerely,
    PayPal Review Department
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I get those for credit cards as well
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    i have received a ton of phishing emails this year - package delivery, Target, Amazon, your account is suspended etc. Just a reminder, Never click on a link in a similar email no matter how valid it looks. Always manually login to the associated web site as BBearen did to check.
    Hovering the mouse over the link will often show you the real site it is directing you to at the bottom of your screen and it almost always obvious its not valid.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Someone had mentioned today about receiving this e-mail and which proved it was a scam as they have never had a PayPal account.

Thanks
    Even if one has any one or more of such accounts, never click on any email link unless one has absolutely made sure where that URL is actually going. Call on the phone if in doubt. Generate your own email if in doubt.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it's a genuine e-mail they would address you by name and not something like Dear Customer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    If it's a genuine e-mail they would address you by name and not something like Dear Customer.
    I have seen a few that used my name. Not many.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ...Hovering the mouse over the link will often show you the real site it is directing you to at the bottom of your screen and it almost always obvious its not valid...
    Depending on what email app you use you can also right-click the link then left-click "Copy Link Location" (Thunderbird) or "Copy Shortcut" (WLM etc.) then paste it into notepad. This will let you see all the code in the link.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I get a similar message now and then but because of some attempt to gain access to my account more than 3 years ago it has been frozen so I just laugh and delete. Last time I had used it was way before eBay bought PayPal and then only for 3 FIC motherboards.

Thanks
    I have been meaning to pose a question for a while now, this thread seems like a good place to have a go at it. I use Thunderbird as an email client so I would be primarily interested in an answer for that but any answer would be good for somebody. I never show the preview pane so remote content does not get loaded. Sometimes the curiosity is killing me to see just the already downloaded html but I have no option to see just that with out opening the email and a save is only available if I open it. Is there a way around this, an extension maybe??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    ...Sometimes the curiosity is killing me to see just the already downloaded html but I have no option to see just that with out opening the email and a save is only available if I open it. Is there a way around this, an extension maybe??
    In Thunderbird go to View/Message Source (or press Ctrl-U) to see the message's code (for the message selected in the message list).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

wavy (2014-12-31)

Thanks
    Thanks coochin
    Works like a charm!!
    Now the real question is :How did I manage to miss that all these years.....

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.