New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Limited user config control

How do I control the configuration for a limited user, for example what starts up for them. As an administrator, when I run msconfig I only see what starts for the admin account. If I try to run msconfig as a limited user, I get access denied. There has to be a way but I just don't see it. Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Lemmie ask Windows Club - Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2 & 3 gurus, they might have an answer for us, I also want to know! Thanks for reminding me via your post here!
    Answer: I'm waiting for their gracious reply. I think we are going to have to search Google for a Windows Tweaker, a pay-for program, that will allow us to set configurations, choices, etc. for each individual account as named earlier.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2014-12-25 at 19:25.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Because you could damage the system by disabling MS services, that may be why you get Access Denied - although when I've checked mine, it has Full Control for Everyone - but I'm the only user on this laptop.

Go Start - type msconfig - right click on it and select Properties and check who has what under the Security tab.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What are you trying to control for limited users? Is this a home computer of part of a corporate network?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my home computer. I am the only one using it but normally, for safe computing with XP, I run as a limited user. I am trying to stop programs, like Quicktime updater, from starting up in my limited account. I use msconfig to control what starts up but that only works for the admin account. When I try to run msconfig from the limited account, it says access denied because I have to be admin to change services. Sudo15, when I type Start-Run msconfig there is no right click with Properties? So the question is how to change statups for a limited user?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm a single account Win 7 user and while I don't have to use the Run box, I've turned on the Guest account and I was able to right click on it and select Properties.

I have to right click on msconfig when it comes up in the Start menu.

However when I unchecked a Startup item I was prompted for the admin password and then was able to go on to uncheck the box and reboot.

XP seems to be different and perhaps other XP users can compare on their machines, but msconfig determines what is loaded when the computer is switched on and I wouldn't have thought those items would change regardless of the user.

I've logged back in using my normal admin account and on checking, that Startup item remains unchecked, although that could also be because of the UAC.

Can you access msconfig without using the Run box in the local user account.

What happens when you disable Quicktime updater in the admin account, Switch user to local and then try msconfig ?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quicktime used to be configured per user via a .QTP file - a pain when rolling out in a corporate environment. Go into QT and set update off.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I could not get anything in Win xp to manage the startup settings for a limited account. Even using QT own control panel, when I removed the check mark for auto update, it reset itself. So I installed Ccleaner and using tools-startup, the limited user account I was able to control what starts up. It is surprising the there is no way to do this natively, in XP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-norton View Post
    It is surprising the there is no way to do this natively, in XP.
    In the past, I would have said you have to edit the registry, as XP doesn't seem to provide a 'nice' way to control startups, but Autoruns is the answer. You can run it from an admin account, then select the user from a drop-down list. Note that many settings are for the whole pc, so will affect all users, but the 'Logon' tab is unique to each user. You can simply deselect an item, leaving it visible for re-instatement should the need arise. The program is powerful, and indiscriminate deselections (or deletions), especially of drivers, can mess the whole thing up.

It seems the limited user cannot change settings with Autoruns, and trying to 'run as' admin failed on my setup.

I recommend the other Sysinternals utilities, but have not tried them all.

hth in the future, Martin

New Lounger
    Thanks

XP can do this natively

How do I control the configuration for a limited user, for example what starts up for them. As an administrator, when I run msconfig I only see what starts for the admin account. If I try to run msconfig as a limited user, I get access denied. There has to be a way but I just don't see it. Thanks for any help.
    It's always a good idea to backup the registry first.

While logged in as administrator, launch regedit.
    Highlight HKEY_Users
    Click File | Load Hive
    Browse to the directory of the limited user account you want to modify.
    Select NTUSER.DAT [you must be showing hidden files to see it]
    When prompted for a key name, pick something meaningful..."limited", "bob", etc.
    It will place that users registry under HKEY_Users for editing as normal.

Don't forget to highlight the newly loaded/edited hive and click File | Unload Hive when finished.

hth

-SS

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change Limited User to Administrator temporarily!

While logged in on your own account (full user/administrator privileges) go to Control Panel/User Accounts.

On the User Accounts page select the Limited User account you wish to make changes on. (If only your account is visible in User Accounts window, click on "Change a different account" or similar words, then select the Limited Account name you wish to make changes on.)

Next, change the type of account from Limited to Administrator/Full. Save the changes and exit. Restart the computer if necessary.

Next, log in on the account you wish to make changes on and run MSCONFIG, make the desired changes, Apply changes, OK, and restart the computer.

Log in again to the account you just made changes to and make sure the changes you made have taken effect by checking MSCONFIG startup list (and remember to Cancel out when done so you don't have to reboot again immediately). Also, you can right-click on the Windows taskbar and select Task Manager to observe what's running in the background.

Next, log out of this account and log back in to your own account (be sure to log out rather than using "Switch User").

Next, after logging in to your own account, go back to Control Panel/Users again. Select the account you made changes on and change the account type back to Limited User. Save, exit, and restart the computer.

Now, the Limited User account should be implementing the desired changes to startup programs and/or processes and still be a Limited User.

Regards