New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Herdprotect, malicious

I was going to download this product and got this enormous warning from my Norton Security:
    HTML Code:
    Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access: 
    http://file-downloads.net/newvdownload.php?a=15086&shortname=manualdownload&f=file-changer1&dom=1-vinstaller.com

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report  explains the security risks on this site. 

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec  to learn more about phishing and internet security.
    Does anyone know anything about this company? They have another program called "Should I remove it?" I scanned it with my security and it came up clean. Just wanted to warn you and see if anyone can tell me about herdprotect.Thanks everyone. Today is my first day as a member and this is my first post!

Thanks
    It could be a false positive on Norton's part, but given how relatively unknown these programs you mention are,
    there are far better AV/AM alternatives out there.

As for the program "Should I remove it"; you don't need a program that purports to tell you
    what other programs to remove, ...research and remove them yourself.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    herdProtect claims to be "powered by 68 anti-malware engines in the cloud". Whether they actually have a license to use all of those engines is debatable - how would those other AM programs make money if they just allowed others to use their engines? Maybe they upload your files and scan them at their end, but that would consume all your bandwidth in no time and be very slow.

Stick to norton and maybe run Malwarebytes Anti Malware manually every other week, make regular backups and ask questions here. That should cover pretty much everything.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    herdProtect claims to be "powered by 68 anti-malware engines in the cloud"...
    The "68 anti-malware engines" claim seems remarkably similar to that claimed by HitmanPro

I haven't ventured to try "herdProtect" yet, but I have run HitmanPro on several computers during the past couple of months after first removing many malware & rootkit infections using the older tried-and-tested programs (MBAM, Spybot, ADWcleaner, ComboFix, etc.).

For example, a customer's Win7 laptop was throwing up endless ad pop-ups in IE11, FF, and Chrome, making it practically impossible to use the Internet let alone accessing sensitive sites such as for online banking. ComboFix deleted 47 rootkit objects, MBAM removed 700+ objects (about 50% were only tracking cookies, about 30% were PUPs, but the other 20% were spyware/adware), Spybot removed 91 PUPs, and ADWcleaner found 27 objects most of which I allowed it to remove except for the browsers' program shortcuts which I cleaned manually.

After cleaning up as in the above paragraph I ran HitmanPro; it found a further eight objects (six registry entries and two [empty] program folders). I removed the reg. entries ("Conduit" adware) and the folders manually as I am not yet sufficiently impressed w/ HitmanPro to shell-out for a licence.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've been to http://www.herdprotect.com/downloads.aspx and my Norton 360 didn't snag it and https://www.virustotal.com/ gives it a clean bill of health.

You can use VirusTotal to check any file or URL.

Do a manual check for Definition updates and see if you still get the alert.

Sometimes you have to use Norton's Remove and Reinstall to stop false positives. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/uk/...rProfile_en_us

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The Norton objection was to the site file-downloads.net and its file manualdownload.exe, not herdProtect.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    The Norton objection was to the site file-downloads.net and its file manualdownload.exe, not herdProtect.
    Thanks Bruce - missed that bit, but another prime example to check you are using an official download site before clicking on it.

Norton 360 has occasionally given me a false positive when even downloading from an official download site and what I've suggested were the only workarounds that resolved it for me.