New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Needing help with document presentation over the internet

I didn't know where else to post this question, so I put it here.

I have a spreadsheet. I want other people on the internet to be able to see (but not update) a view of the spreadsheet (certain columns only). I want them to be able to see updates that I make in real-time or near real-time. This has to be accomplished without the viewers having to install anything special on their computers. I don't want the viewers to have to refresh to see the changes. Does anyone have any idea how I might accomplish this?

I do have some flexibility. It doesn't HAVE to be a spreadsheet, although I am making use of conditional logic and text manipulation functions of the spreadsheet. I would prefer that the viewers don't have to refresh to see the changes, but I might give up on that requirement if I had to.

I guess I'm looking for a public whiteboard type thing, except the display would be a designated spreadsheet view.

The reason I want this functionality is that I do a public streaming video webcast. I want viewers to be able to see this document as I update it during the webcast.

I've already had Google Docs mentioned as a possibility, and I will be looking into that. But are there any other options? I don't really know where to start. Thanks for any help Lounge readers can provide.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I post a couple of spreadsheets on my site and use Excel 2010 [version 14] to edit them on my computers. Then I use Save as... and choose .htm/.html then at the bottom click Publish. Then I use FTP to upload to my site.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How big is the audience, e.g. tens, hundreds, thousands?

(I think the only way to have viewers see real-time updates without the need to refresh would be to incorporate the spreadsheet in the streaming video.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To Bruce: The audience is tens. I'm looking for the spreadsheet to be presented outside of the streaming video so that the audience can view and hear the stream all the time and then reference the spreadsheet from time to time when they want to.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I can't see how you could do that without an active page in the browser refreshing regularly, unless it's included in the video stream.

cheers, Paul