5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What Else To Check?

Friend of mine called me Tuesday, saying his HP Pavilion desktop wasn't displaying anything onscreen. Took a spare monitor over, no picture on it either. Brought the PC home and started looking for a video card to fit it. Found one today, installed it, still nothing. Fan on power supply is running, so is the CPU fan. I don't hear a POST beep, but I can hear the optical drive being accessed. Pulled the power cable on the optical drive to see if that would force a hard drive boot, no go. Anything else to check, or am I looking at a dead motherboard?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    JJ,

When you installed the Video Card did you go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    JJ,

When you installed the Video Card did you go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video? HTH
    I tried Esc, F1, F2 and F12, none of them would get me into the BIOS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    JJ,

Maybe F10? See here.

BTW: Having exact model numbers helps us provide help.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    I tried Esc, F1, F2 and F12, none of them would get me into the BIOS.
    If the computer halts with a black screen after power-on it is often caused by the BIOS/UEFI being corrupted. Most modern motherboards have a backup copy of the BIOS/UEFI stored in the CMOS chip.

You could try resetting the BIOS/UEFI (I have seen this problem w/ many PCs, especially after mains power surges). Use the following steps to load the backup copy of the BIOS/UEFI:

1. Unplug the mains power cord from the power supply unit (leave the cord disconnected during steps 2. through 4.).

2. Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard.

3. Use a suitable screwdriver (or some other suitable metal object) to short out the +/- contacts in the CMOS battery holder.

4. While the +/- contacts are shorted, press and release the PCs power-on switch 8 to 10 times (uses residual power stored in the motherboard's capacitors to force the motherboard to load the backup copy of the BIOS/UEFI and resets the CMOS settings to defaults).

5. Refit the CMOS battery and plug the mains power cord back in to the power supply unit.

6. Power on.

If you now have video, you will need to adjust the BIOS/UEFI settings (date, etc.). If you do not have video, then the motherboard is probably dead.

Note: this procedure relies on residual power stored in the motherboard's capacitors, so it is important to perform each step as quickly as possible especially after removing the mains power lead and the CMOS battery.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2014-12-27)

Thanks
    When I run into a no display problem, I disconnect every thing except one memory DIMM and a video card. If you still get no display, it's probably a failed power supply. If you now get a display, connect things one at a time.

Dad