New Lounger
    Thanks

Back up your file encryption certificate and key question

Today when I brought up my computer (Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit), it told me I should back up my file encryption certificate and key. When I followed the instructions, there are no certificates listed under personal as mentioned in the instructions. To my knowledge, there is nothing encrypted on this computer, as least intentionally. I do have a lot of files password protected such as Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat. The only change that I made in the last couple of days was to install Quicken Premier 2015. I am at a loss as to why I am being asked to do this when there obviously are no certificates located under personal. I read to run cipher.exe /u from the command prompt to determine what is encrypted, but it says I don't have this file. Also, the instructions said smartcards could become corrupt but it doen't tell you what type of media as to where you should save the certificate. I am at a loss as to why I am getting this and whether I really need to do it. The options it gives me are "Back up now," "Back up later," or "Never back up." At this point I am not sure why this started prompting for this or whether I really need to do." Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Thanks.

Thanks
    See post #3 "Most Helpful Reply" - Cacow replied on December 2, 2010 in this forum.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Post #3 would be helpful, if I had cipher.exe on my system. Unfortunately, I only have a cipher.dll, no cipher.exe. Where could I find it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Branny View Post
    Post #3 would be helpful, if I had cipher.exe on my system. Unfortunately, I only have a cipher.dll, no cipher.exe. Where could I find it?
    I also have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and cipher.exe is on my system.

Start/All Programs/Accessories/ right-click "Command Prompt" then left-click "Run as Administrator". In the command prompt window type:

sfc /scannow
    (enter)

System File Checker might take 10-20min to complete; if sfc reports that it replaced files and/or fixed "integrity violations" then you should also run a chkdsk repair scan on your C:\ drive, also from an admin-level command prompt:

chkdsk c: /r
    (enter)

Windows will prompt you to restart; the scan will run when Windows begins to start.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.