Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Pre-question: Win 7 modem security.

I have a question about the security of my wireless modem on a Win 7 machine. Should I:

1. Post it here.
    2. Post it in "Security and Scams".
    3. Not worry about it and let the admins work it out.
    4. None of the above.

Edit: "Security" as it pertains to someone connecting to my wireless home network.
    Last edited by artied2; 2014-12-27 at 00:15.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Just post it in this thread.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    PaulT, during my earlier cdrive and ddrive Sharing [Win7Pro], I noticed I can limit the number of potential folks who can have access. Would that benefit the OP as well?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The post may be about restricting access rather than limiting numbers. We'll have to wait and see.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The ideal place would be in the Networking forum, but here would be acceptable.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks Paul.

Here's the basic question: How can I detect who or what is accessing my wireless modem?

Long story: My AT&T U-Verse modem has LED's for ethernet, Phone and wireless. The "phone" light stays lit all the time. The "ethernet" light flickers with internet activity. The "wireless" light only flickers when we connect with either of our smartphones or my wife's laptop. (The laptop was a Christmas present, so it is a new device.) Last night, the wireless indicator came on almost solid. It has a touch of flicker so that it looks like heavy activity. It was limiting streaming audio that I was listening to. I went into the modem settings and disabled wireless. The light went out and I got my full bandwidth back.

So, something seems to be using my wireless connection. Two more things that might be relevant: When I re-enabled it this morning, the wireless light came back on the same way. I doubt that some "war-driver" sat around all night waiting for me to reconnect. Also, when we had our satellite dish re-installed, (new roof), the guy enabled our DirecTV wireless capability. But even then, the wireless light would only come on if we actually watched a YouTube video, or somesuch, on the TV.

Sorry for the long read. Thanks all.

Artie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The post may be about restricting access rather than limiting numbers. We'll have to wait and see. cheers, Paul
    You're correct, I thought the OP might want the wireless on from time to time, for special occasions.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Yup. Need it for our smartphones and wife's new laptop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artied2 View Post
    Here's the basic question: How can I detect who or what is accessing my wireless modem?
    Who’s On My Wifi

Bruce

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Browni (2014-12-27),dg1261 (2014-12-28)

Thanks
    Thanks Bruce. That program doesn't indicate anything unusual. But the light is still on. I notice also that the "service" light is on. I wonder if its a modem problem?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    GlassWire Network Security might be of some interest to you. It is freeware and has had good reviews. It won't tell you what the modem is doing, but it will tell you the network activities of the computer.

The 'Service On' light may just be a 'Power On' light (pull the plug and see), or a power on and signal present (= service available) light. You have a new computer in the mix, and if that is running it may be downloading any number of updates, depending on how it is configured. Your modem is also a router, and you may have device-to-device interactions.

Now that you have the thread here, keep an eye on both forums in case something relevant turns up in the other.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2014-12-27 at 19:13. Reason: Corrected link

Thanks
    Thanks DB. It has a seperate power light, but I checked the manual, and "service" does in fact mean what you say. It just means its connected to the service. However, the wireless light stays flickering even when all of our wireless devices are off.

Thanks
    Cha-ching! Found the problem. I signed into the modem, enabled MAC filtering, and blocked the DirecTV box. Lights out.

When the guy re-installed our new dish, he showed us how to access YouTube and such on our TV. Ever since then, the box has apparently been sitting there eating up bandwidth. Not sure what Its doing internally, and not sure what to check. But that was it.

Thanks
    Btw, in the process of chasing this down, I've got a better understanding of how to read the info from my modem. I don't need that "who's on my network" because the modem itself shows you that information. Learned something new.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Always log into your modem and ask it what's connected. Connection is its primary function and it keeps track of what is talking to it.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast