Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned Member
    Thanks

Question Paul T. & Build 9879 & earlier

I couldn't decide how to put this as a question; instead, maybe, it will provoke discussion...

Paul Thurrott has said a lot about the 3 Builds we have had & what is or may be coming (soon) beyond the 1st three.
    Some of what he has said specifically about Build 9879 & it vs the previous, I have , also, read in some articles & in comments in IT Forums.
    The 'confusing' thing is much of it does not jibe w/ my own experience. He keeps going on about (many, major) problems in 9879 (albeit, some were cured immediately upon initial 9879 release via WU) regarding stability issues, OS crashes & browser "hanging". Suggestions that Build 9879 is, really, rough & a downhill slide from the previous, that it is very 'buggy'.

Meanwhile...

I am not seeing it.

I have had nothing but, quite terrific performance from 9879, for the most part... I don't expect perfection from a beta OS, of course.. In fact, a couple of significant things that existed in the previous Build are all gone & fine in this current one.
    There are a couple little concerns but, they are not new or peculiar to this Build.

Baffles me that it would be so much better and different for one person than another or from one machine to another.

I sure do not have any of the pesky, irritating, Build Paul & others seem to be encountering. Honestly, it's been solid as a rock... in spite of what contrasts I hear & read.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Thanks
    Your Beta experience is going to be based on your specific hardware and software environment. I know you specifically mentioned in previous posts that you should not use the preview as your main OS which implies you do not use all of your software. I have been using it as my main OS and while it has been relatively stable, I have run into the occasional hang. I also have been experiencing a lot of issues with IE 11 in the Windows 10 TP to the point where I have made Chrome the default browser. According to the last Insider Hub post, "So far we've fixed almost 1,300 bugs (and counting!) ".

But again, the more software and hardware you throw at the beta, the more likely you are to expose problems. Microsoft is putting a lot of effort into the next build to be released in January so it should be considerably more stable.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2015-01-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Jerry. I hope that Santa was nice to you.
    I also use TO as my main machine, I have it loaded with all my usual apps and enjoy it. I have more trouble with IE 10 on W-8 than with IE 11 on TP. This machine is sacrificial so it does not matter much. As it is, I have three machines in use here but I give W-10 a good heavy use. Nothing comes to mind at this moment as to how it could have troubled me.
    I am on a W-8 machine typing at you, in the next few minutes, I will clone it and reload TP 9879 on this one too. I have had some trouble with it as I mentioned here before and to Drew, but I have narrowed it down to a RAM stick, removed it and no problem anymore. I have a pair of new ones inbound. Time will tell.

Addendum, I have 20 apps on the Quick Launch. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-12-27 at 15:23.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Certainly, there are a # of factors that might impact on the results & account for variation. Much of my beta testing over the years has been done virtually. I'm not sure it blinds one to much as opposed to physical. May account for what peripherals the VM 'sees' or not but, not so much stability, hangs & crash issues.

I did read about the 1300+ bugs fixed. I'm sure not implying any silly head-in-the-sand notion that because I'm having good results, anything is perfect, the Paul & others are hitting snags & challenges. Some ARE, like Jean & many others, having a smooth & enjoyable raod w/ Win10 and others, not so much. Just finding it interesting that there are some wide gaps in the differences people are seeing from good to bad.

Jean, darn glad that is narrowed down to THE culprit and sorted. Will likely be great w/ the 2 new ones.

Quick Launch? I used to put that on to Win7. Started w/ it on Win8 until it seemed redundant. Decided would be the same on 10. Tell me more. There was a time back in Vista & 7 where I would not dream of going w/out QL.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    happyharleydays9ng0ui.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, hello again.

Here is my Quick Launch :

0QL.jpg

There are 20 apps on it and this is mostly all that I call to service. I started with the Office Tools in Office 2000 and the idea just kept recurring to me that this was not a bad idea. I have used it on all my machines.

Eagerly waiting for the new sticks. Be good. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

Isn't that just items Pinned to the Taskbar... rather than me thinking you had installed (enabled) Quick Launch on Windows 10. (It has not been 'standard equipment' since Vista).

IF I am understanding what you are showing correctly, then the top row of icons (below) can be called "Quick Launch" but, they are merely Pinned to the Taskbar. Quick Launch has not been introduced. The lower row are Links (Faorites Bar)
    Screenshot (13).JPG

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, on the Acer now running 9879. The install was smooth, very smooth. It also kept all my personal items but not the added graphic card driver. I had it on the C:\ so it was a kid's play to go and get it going, looking at 1920 x 1080 now. Let us hope that this install will not be like the first instance where I had elected to go back to W-8, I will let you know.
    When it got to send me a code, I never received it, yes, on another machine but nix. What next, when will it ask me to verify that I am me ?

Edit : The code was sent to Spam, I found it this morning.

Be good. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-12-29 at 10:18.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh ! Drew, did I stumble on semantics. I really thought that this was a QL, yes, they are "pinned" to the bar by whatever name. Does the same for me !

Added : I am still trying to really trouble shoot this machine, I have reloaded 9879 on it again but on a different HD, if it is stable in the next few days, I will try to re-insert the RAM stick, just for fun. In the mean time, all is well in my crazy world. This install is some time taking ! I had to do it twice as MS would not send me a "code" to verify my identity on the first attempt. I got one second time around, ouf !

More news. I have still some trouble shooting done, I had noticed that the push of the power switch would give a flick of the video on the screen, oh ! I thought, maybe my problem is video ??? I then removed the X16 ATI card and got the onboard video going. Good results but it is not 16:9 capable, yeark ! It also grabs some memory so I inserted both sticks that I thought were defective. Still slow but no recurrence of the a/n trouble as before, it is steady now. I will endure this funny screen until I can get a new vidcard. So far, so good. This machine has been giving me fits in the last month, I hope that now the finger is on the fault. Time will tell. It is running 9879 solid as a rock now and for the last day. I will keep you up.
    Be good. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-12-29 at 10:20.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Jerry.
    I got 9879 back running on the Acer after some problems, it runs now on the on-board video, not nice but it runs.
    I can not see a "Sleep" option nowhere at all. I looked all over the machine, no such option, just Restart and Shutdown. I have a Restart option after changing the machine name that I have not done yet. Maybe this is the bone. Let me try it, I will get back at you.

Back at you. That did not do it, see Prn Scrn:

0Sleep.jpg

Not to worry, just curious. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-12-29 at 11:51.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Not meaning to interfere but my 9879 has Sleep, Update and Shut down and Update and Restart on the power button.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No interference at all, Berton. I am just curious as to why your machine would be different. As a matter of fact, I run three W-10 machines, two for friends, and they are all different in some respect, this "Sleep" being one.
    Have a great day. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't checked into it but it would seem Win10 power button menu has been changed from static to dynamic, changes according to actions that need to be taken. On earlier versions of Windows the Start button would have a yellow triangle when there were updates to install/configure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Not meaning to interfere but my 9879 has Sleep, Update and Shut down and Update and Restart on the power button.
    Update and Restart only appears when Windows 10 TP has applied some Windows Updates in the background and needs to restart to complete them.

Jean, Click on the Start button and type Power.
    In the search results, click on "Change what the power buttons do.
    Click on Change settings that are currently unavaiable
    Under Shutdown Settings, place a checkmark next to Sleep, Show in Power Menu

I have no idea why it wasn't checked by default

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

Here is the answer for you regarding SLEEP.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    happy_holidays.gif

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Jean,

Here is the answer for you regarding SLEEP.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    happy_holidays.gif
    That's exactly the same procedure I outlined.

Jerry

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast