Thread: What A Mess

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

What A Mess

Purchased an HP Pavillion 27x27 monitor and had problems so I called support and got Techie from India and I did the dumbest PC thing ever (1st time) I let HP's remote service of my PC to get problem solved. (did not work) She updated my Nvidia drivers so when done a security camera I had hooked up (USB C1200 Digital Wireless USB Outdoor Camera) and working properly, not so after she was done. By the time I realized she had updated Nvidia it was already done

I decided to uninstall the Nvidia updates to see if camera would kick back on. Still does not work. Now I went to Nvidia directly and they have a driver update utility that when downloaded will check my PC to see what actual updates I need. I have always refused to update Nvidia through the windows update program because I've heard that this can cause problems.

Really irks me as I started with a Tandy PC 27 years ago and have never let anybody do the remote service thing, I guess Not Brightest Bulb thing increases as one ages.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried using your restore points to before the interfering help ?

Thanks
    Yes indeed and it would not do the restore thing, when things are going downhill they appear to pick up speed. I replaced an HP 25x25 monitor with this one, never had a problem.
    Last edited by Not Brightest Bulb; 2014-12-28 at 10:00.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    First check that you have restore points by going into System Protection/Configure and then try them in Safe Mode.

Sometimes your AV program can interfere with the restore action but will be isolated in that mode.

Thanks
    That ship has sailed completely because by the time she and I got through there were 15 restore points along with what was on there before and I went through and deleted them.

I will get in touch with KJB Security to help with camera. I was primarily wondering/curious about the Nvidia update program.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The HP helper would have updated/reinstalled the drivers from HP as for some reason, Nvidia drivers tend to be OEM modified and if you updated directly from Nvidia you could end up with a BSOD - the Nvidia updater may spot this and warn against updating from there - or it may not.

How did you uninstall those drivers as using the Roll back option in Device Manager can sometimes be just as effective as a restore point.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-28 at 10:24.

Thanks
    Well I used a program called "Your Uninstaller" and when checking the restore info it dropped me into a window with documents and on bottom only choice was registry files so that was so far over my head I almost went down for the 3rd time. Interesting is that I've used this program at least 5 years and never needed to restore anything (just lucky I guess)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried downloading the drivers/reinstalling the security camera ?

If you try that route then it's best to uninstall what is left of it before you try the reinstall.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2014-12-28)

Thanks
    Well I'm going to contact camera place tomorrow and see what's happening.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Let us know how you get on.

Thanks
    Well I did solve my problem, purchased a Dell PC and all is well. I will use the PC that had glitch as a backup as the one I was using was ancient.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Well I did solve my problem, purchased a Dell PC and all is well. I will use the PC that had glitch as a backup as the one I was using was ancient.
    Sometimes older machines have compatibility problems with newer hardware and the time comes to move on, but wondering if factory resetting the older machine (if OEM) to undo the HP helper's "good work" then reinstalling the camera would have done the trick.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Sometimes older machines have compatibility problems with newer hardware and the time comes to move on, but wondering if factory resetting the older machine (if OEM) to undo the HP helper's "good work" then reinstalling the camera would have done the trick.
    Well the weak link in the OEM proposal is the dummy who would attempt that (me) I do not have a clue and my problem is no real backup person to bail me out if I fall down that PC rabbit hole.

Just found out that all support for W7 will stop in 2020 the good news is that I will probably be stopped before then and will not have to keep up with the Windows race. Not complaining about my status just stating a possible fact.

I'm actually feeling pretty good because I got through the lengthy (to me) process of getting all my programs data etc moved over to new PC without any problems. Even got rid of the trial version of McAffee.

I'm a semi retired dog trainer in 50 years 90 different breeds trained, Obedience, Protection, and bird dogs trained and campaigned in field trials.

Give me a dog and I will/can handle it and not even blink an eye. Not so with PC skills, it's one step forward 3 steps backwards etc etc etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    ...I'm a semi retired dog trainer in 50 years 90 different breeds trained, Obedience, Protection, and bird dogs trained and campaigned in field trials. Give me a dog and I will/can handle it and not even blink an eye. Not so with PC skills, it's one step forward 3 steps backwards etc etc etc.
    Then you've nothing, really, to fret about.

Most of my customers have skills in areas apart from computing (accountants, architects, academics, medical professionals, etc., yet they find they need to use computers to properly complete their daily work. Don't be surprised if you can't at first work out how to do something - stick with it, you will work it out (it's not so hard).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2015-01-08)

Thanks
    Then you've nothing, really, to fret about.
    No fretting, actually feels good when I do solve a problem.

Had a close friend died 5 years ago who was very gifted with PCs The very 1st thing he told me (20 years ago) was don't worry there is no computer that can hurt/injure you, just turn it off.

Besides that Window's Secrets has bailed me out a few times.