Thanks

Yellow Information Bar at bottom of screen--delete, disable?

Latest Win7 Pro x64 and IE11.

You know the seriously intrusive and horribly designed bar which pops up on the bottom of IE9, IE10, and IE11 whenever
    a) it feels like it [eg "It's been over 6 months since one of your add-ons visited the dentist--would you like to make an appointment?"],
    b) user takes a trigger action [eg "I'm going to download 25-50 files during the day, please interrupt me as much as possible while I'm doing so"],
    c) it doesn't like where this is going [eg "Hey dumbass, the page you've just arrived at has text from Steve--see the S in the URL?--but some buttons and bars are from Pretty Polly--see the PP. What are you thinking?"],
    d) Plenty of other reasons for the yellow-peril-bar [YPB] to appear,
    e) Got me to finally post since browsing around a few sites without Flash has YPB popping up on many pages asking to install Flash.

I'm a bit incredulous that MS seems to have allowed no way to remove or disable this Intrusion Bar. I understand its purpose and usefulness for many IE users, but there should be an advanced or registry way to fix what has been bugging users since at least IE9.

I've looked at supposed solutions posted by MS people in the MS community, which don't work, and also at a few threads in other forums thrown up by Bing. No solution anywhere. Anyone here got any experience of a workaround?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I doubt whether you can eliminate it permanently for all circumstances, but you can stop it appearing for the most common occurrences:

Can I turn off the Information bar?

(bottom of page)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-12-29 at 20:42.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2014-12-29)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    BAYPB?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Mike, I laughed as I read your description of that yellow bar! Did you get rid of it for the most part? If you did, tell me what you did, thanks!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I doubt whether you can eliminate it permanently for all circumstances, but you can stop it appearing for the most common occurrences:

Can I turn off the Information bar?

(bottom of page)
    I think that information I posted earlier may date back to IE8. For IE9 (and later), Microsoft say;

Can I turn off the Notification bar?

No, but you can click the Close button on the right side of the bar make it disappear. The bar will also disappear if you navigate away from the current page.

Internet Explorer 9 Notification bar: frequently asked questions
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-01-07 at 14:56. Reason: speeling

Thanks
    Thanks for your efforts Bruce, I'd already seen and played with those "supposed solutions posted by MS people in the MS community."--no joy, sorry Roland

I'll give Opera a spin, been a few years since I tried it. The Flash intrusion is too much to keep using IE regularly--I've recently moved to a slowest broadband location, so the videos that many websites now have [content or ads] slow page loading or time out or freeze IE.

Thanks
    I found a reprieve which has significantly reduced the Flash intrusion and also decreased [afaics] the number of auto-playing videos and sounds on webpages. This is a new PC build, and I initially missed some settings in my fresh IE11 install.

Internet Options > Advanced tab> Multimedia section

I unticked four of the six boxes, leaving only the two image settings ticked--so all the multimedia boxes unticked.

Effect is that now instead of the yellow bar asking to install Flash, I get non-working rectangles on the webpage telling me I need Flash to view the content. That suits me fine.

Thanks
    Install UAC Tweak and set it to Low-Removes all prompts
    In IE, go to Tools>Safety and turn off Active X Filtering
    Install Adblock Plus. This blocks flash adds, so no request to install Flash

https://adblockplus.org/

http://www.askvg.com/uac-tweak-a-sma...windows-vista/

Nota Bene. Caveat descendit oneratus.

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Install UAC Tweak and set it to Low-Removes all prompts
    Is the tweak needed for anything after Vista? (As 7/8/10 have UAC level options built in.)

Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    In IE, go to Tools>Safety and turn off Active X Filtering
    What's the advantage of Active X Filtering OFF? (I could understand ON, to reject more requests.)

Bruce

Thanks
    Is the tweak needed for anything after Vista? (As 7/8/10 have UAC level options built in.)

Consider it as a shortcut, although it has the extra option of turning UAC off if required (not advisable under normal circumstances).

Active X filtering blocks content on many sites and has to be disabled on a per site basis to be able to watch the content unless its turned off.

Mike wanted to get rid of the prompts. Its a matter of convenience verses security, putting the onus on the user to be vigilant, rather than leaving it up to the OS.
    Last edited by Calimanco; 2015-01-08 at 11:34.