3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Incessant and seemingly unstoppable popups

My wife is using 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, with IE11 browser as default. Firefox is also installed, but she has never used it.

Please note the attachment. Google Chrome is not installed, although it has been because my wife installed something without reading those darned hidden offers to install Chrome, but Chrome was uninstalled later. However, now some months later she is spontaneously getting the two notices now that both pop up together, and yet Google Chrome is not installed. . . .even though one of these notices says it just crashed and offers to relaunch it.

In trying to figure this out, I have confirmed that Google Chrome is not shown as installed in her Control Panel, or in a utility named "jv16 Power Tools" that also has a utility for removing software although I rarely use that one if I can uninstall it in Control Panel. Although Google Chrome is not listed in either of the two listings, the following Google products are shown as follows in each:

Control Panel
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, installation date 3/27/2014, version 7.5.5111.1712

In jv16 PowerTools utility
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, version 11.00.9600.16428, installation date 18.06.2009, 0000
    Google Update Helper, version N/A, date 12.112014, 0000

Notice the two listings for Google Toolbar seem to be different versions and installed on different dates, which appears to imply a conflict. My thought is to uninstall all three of them, then reboot the machine and reinstall the Google Toolbar once only because she does use that. I have no clue about the Google Update Helper or how it got there, but I doubt she uses it or even knows what it is (I don't either, really).

In summary, these two spontaneous pop up warnings do not seem to be harmful, but they are really getting annoying spontaneously popping up about every few days. They are easilly shut off when that happens, but they should not be doing that and I would really like to know how to disable or delete them once and for all. Can someone out there please suggest something to help me?

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I thought I had attached a screen shot showing the popups, but I do not see it. I will try it again if someone wants/needs me to do so, or maybe just transcribing them would be simpler under the circumstances. Thank you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    My wife is using 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, with IE11 browser as default. Firefox is also installed, but she has never used it.

Please note the attachment. Google Chrome is not installed, although it has been because my wife installed something without reading those darned hidden offers to install Chrome, but Chrome was uninstalled later. However, now some months later she is spontaneously getting the two notices now that both pop up together, and yet Google Chrome is not installed. . . .even though one of these notices says it just crashed and offers to relaunch it.

In trying to figure this out, I have confirmed that Google Chrome is not shown as installed in her Control Panel, or in a utility named "jv16 Power Tools" that also has a utility for removing software although I rarely use that one if I can uninstall it in Control Panel. Although Google Chrome is not listed in either of the two listings, the following Google products are shown as follows in each:

Control Panel
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, installation date 3/27/2014, version 7.5.5111.1712

In jv16 PowerTools utility
    Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, version 11.00.9600.16428, installation date 18.06.2009, 0000
    Google Update Helper, version N/A, date 12.112014, 0000

Notice the two listings for Google Toolbar seem to be different versions and installed on different dates, which appears to imply a conflict. My thought is to uninstall all three of them, then reboot the machine and reinstall the Google Toolbar once only because she does use that. I have no clue about the Google Update Helper or how it got there, but I doubt she uses it or even knows what it is (I don't either, really).

In summary, these two spontaneous pop up warnings do not seem to be harmful, but they are really getting annoying spontaneously popping up about every few days. They are easilly shut off when that happens, but they should not be doing that and I would really like to know how to disable or delete them once and for all. Can someone out there please suggest something to help me?

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Toolbarcleaner.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Um. . . .can you be just a little more specific, please? What does this mean? Do I uninstall the three items noted, or what? Is this a download your are talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Toolbarcleaner.com

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now it is going from bad to worse. I just looked at her desktop, and IE11 has completely disappeared. It has somehow gotten uninstalled, and nobody here did THAT. Any ideas out there other that a one word reply about cleaning a toolbar as RolandJS suggested when any toolbar on IE is now entirely gone??? :-(

David E. Cann

Thanks
    I didn't think you could uninstall IE (but am happy to be disabused of that notion if I'm wrong). Is it just the links that have gone? Can you see it in control panel/programs and features?

I think screenshots of the popups would be useful to help see what might be causing the problem. I would also run Malwarebytes and other such malware and adware software as well (plenty of threads about which are considered good on the lounge).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

decann (2014-12-30)

Thanks
    I was on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 when I responded earlier with just one word; I am a terrible typist on such tiny devices. toolbarcleaner.com has a utility called Toolbar Cleaner. It was search and report any and all toolbars located within Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and so on. Similar to adwcleaner, it will help enduser get rid of unwanted cling-ons within browsers.
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe -- this is where ie 64bit should be.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe --this is where ie 32bit should be.
    Using File Manager's [oops wrong OS] --> Explorer's tree climbing, find out if the above two directories still exist. if they do, you can create a desktop shortcut for each iexplore.exe.
    One cannot un-install Internet Explorer without having serious OS consequences, so, I'm wondering if the shortcuts simply disappeared from the desktop. Keep us advised! Oh, and I'm using my desktop, hence the much better typing and more informative post.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

decann (2014-12-30)

Thanks
    access, thanks for adding your good stuff! hopefully the OP will be well on the way to recover OPs [normal operations] on the desktop.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Updaters tend to be in msconfig either in the Startup items or under the Services tab.

Go Start - type msconfig then press enter and check to see if you have those items under either tab.

In Program Files and/or Program Files (x86) there could be a Google Chrome folder which you can delete prior to reinstalling the Toolbar.

AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool are quite adept at getting rid of some of the nasties that can disrupt browsers and while this link is primarily for AdwCleaner, the JRT link is lower down the page. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

With ADW click on Scan and that may produce a list of items in the lower pane which you can uncheck for those you wish to keep.

Click on Report when the scan has completed and that will list what it has found and will delete.

Close the Report then click on Clean.

This will produce another report of what it has deleted after the reboot.

JRT takes a little longer to complete and will give its report upon completion, although you don't have the same control for what it will remove.

A scan with the free version of MBAM may also be worthwhile. https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Go to Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off and look to see if IE 11's box is checked.

Re-check it if not and then see if it reinstates - a reboot may be required.

If it is checked then uncheck it - reboot, recheck it and reboot again.

If IE is still missing (go Start and check All Programs for Internet Explorer), you can either manually Check for Windows Updates, run this tool to re-register IE's files http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...fix-ie-utility - reinstall IE 11 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378 and/or open a command prompt as an admin by going Start - type cmd then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2014-12-30)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To all the folks trying to help me here, be aware that a very good friend of mine who happens to be a Network Manager (if that is the correct title) in a large company, is going to stop by and take a look at this on the way home from work tomorrow (yes, on New Year's Eve). He says he thinks he knows the issue, but will know more when he can sit down and see it himself, so hopefully he can work some of his usual magic and restore it to normal functionality. It will cost me some money, but tampering in this area of the inner workings is NOT something I am comfortable doing, but he is.

I thank you your suggestions and help, but this old retiree just does not have the knowledge or skills to sort out and decide on which of several replies (if any) is right or wrong for this situation. I thank you all for your suggestions. I thought my friend was out of town for the holidays, but apparently he is back now, so I have now opted to wait until tomorrow evening and "let the expert give it a try." Thank you again.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdh, It now appears that only the icons are gone, even those in the "Start" listing, because I have discovered that the IE directories in "Program Files" as well as "Program Files (x86)" both seem to still house an awful lot of files but for the most part they are shaded (indicating they are shut off or disabled?)." As already noted on this forum, I have a friend coming tomorrow who is a computer professional, and he says he thinks he knows the problem and can fix it. I hope this answers your questions about IE.

As for the screen shots, I tried to send them to this forum 2 or 3 times, but nothing seemed to happen. I don't know what the issue is there, but it seems all moot now and I have a printed copy to show my friend tomorrow when he arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I didn't think you could uninstall IE (but am happy to be disabused of that notion if I'm wrong). Is it just the links that have gone? Can you see it in control panel/programs and features?

I think screenshots of the popups would be useful to help see what might be causing the problem. I would also run Malwarebytes and other such malware and adware software as well (plenty of threads about which are considered good on the lounge).
    Last edited by decann; 2014-12-30 at 15:06.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    The easiest way I know to check in Windows 7 whether Internet Explorer is still available is to click on the Start orb then, where it shows Search programs and files, type iexplore and press the Enter key.

Hope this helps..

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't forget to show him the suggestions you have had so far - and if he' such a good friend, why is it going to cost you a lot of money ?