2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Faulty Updates from Microsoft

Quote Originally Posted by Garpet View Post
    Currently I have 16 optional updates showing in Windows Update, as follows:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 for Windows 7
    nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2574819)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2592687)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2800095)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2830477)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2843630)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2847077)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2891804)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2908783)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2913152)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2913431)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2918077)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2919469)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2928562)
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2929755)

As an average PC user without lots of technical knowledge, how am I supposed to know whether or not I need to install these updates?Am I correct in assuming that as they are optional my PC will continue to operate perfectly well without them, and if so then why does Windows Update even list them as optional?

Thanks for any information anybody can provide.
    I am this same 'average PC user', and at an age that I just don't understand a lot of this computer language nor processes

So over the recent holidays I started getting a very erratic computer,...turns out I got a nasty virus, even though I have Security Essentials on and run it all the time. I downloaded and ran Malwarebytes and CCleaner yet still did not determine my exact problem at that point.

I then ran the 'full' version of Security Essentials, that took an inordinate amount of time (like 7 hrs), but it did ID the virus, and took corrective action. My computer then operated properly, but just in case I continued to run SE several more times.

This morning I was in the control panel and found some recommended updates from Microsoft. One in particular was HIGHLY recommended, KB2574819. I selected them all to be installed. But upon installation my computer rejected this one, and reverted to 'safe mode'. It was suggested that I go back to a computer state that existed before I made this installation. I did that, BUT why is this update still out there if it is faulty ,....which I suppose it must be if it was rejected?

PS: I got this quote from a previous subject thread that was 256 days old. I was replying to it as it contained a reference to this same update (maybe faulty) that I am asking about. I did NOT find out that I could not respond to that subject thread until I attempted to post it. It would be really nice to be notified of this 'can not be replied to) in advance, instead of after one composes a posting??
    Last edited by beiland; 2014-12-30 at 11:15.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you don't need it then hide it if it continues to appear in WUs http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2574819

It has caused browser problems for some.

I think there's a 90 day age limit to posting in a Lounge thread that has gone without reply which is why you weren't able to add to it, but it's always best to open your own thread as someone else's solution may not apply to you even in an active thread and can cause confusion for any helpers.