5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question IE11 - disappearing Favorites display?

I recently acquired a new desktop running Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and, of course, Internet Explorer 11. I have my monitor screen set up so that my "Favorites" are displayed in a 4 inch strip along the left side of my screen with the rest of the screen displaying the active web site. For some reason and on some websites, the Favorites display goes away so that the screen is displaying the entire web site. I can get the favorites strip back using <Ctrl> <Shift> I, but after a while having to do this for about 25 to 50 percent of the web sites becomes a bit of a pain. I am wondering if this behavior is unique to IE11 as it never happened on my old machine running IE10 under Windows 7 SP1, or is it the result of a some operating setting for IE11 that I can alter to stop this "disappearance" from happening. Any insight that anyone would be willing to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    This happens if you watch a streaming video in full screen mode. There is no setting that I know to change this behavior.

Does this happen when you click on links?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. I did not know this happened with "streaming" videos at full screen. I don't remember IE10 doing this at all and my "viewing/surfing" habits have not changed. I guess this is just another case of Microsoft's undocumented features.

I am not sure if it happens when I click links, but I will definitely watch for this.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I have been watching "the links aspect" now for a couple of days and it does not appear to do this when I click on links. It seems to happen, as you noted, when I go full screen on streaming web cams. This tells me that whatever is restoring the web page when I return from the "full screen" view to the "regular view" does not know to reset the "Favorites" listing on the left side of the screen. So, I wonder if there is a setting somewhere to force this to happen?

Ron M