Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

virus Win32/Chroject.D!dll

Somehow I got infected with this virus,...I believe around Christmas as my computer started to do lots of strange things. I'm running Win7 and Security Essentials which did not pick up anything initially (as far as I remember) I also had Malwarebytes on this laptop.

The only two 'programs' I can remember allowing in over the past month was an Adobe update, and a Microsoft Word Starter update. Correct me if I am mistaken, but if this virus had been associated with these updates or similar software updates, then likely Security Essentials would have recognized it?

I'm thinking back to a strange email that I opened and could not understand, even while it was addressed to me personally. Maybe it was hidden in there?

I had run several 'quick scans' as I often do, but did not detect anything wrong even while things were going downhill with connection problems and very long start-up and shut-down times. It was only when I did a FULL scan that it finally found this virus. But it took a LONG time scanning....something like 7 hrs. It was creeping along so slowly, I almost interrupted it to get some other work done on the computer. Fortunately I let it run the course, and finally found this virus,....multiply entities of the same virus were recognized, if I recall properly. I then deleted them from my computer, and everything seems back to normal. BUT just in case I have since run the full scan several times and not picked up on anything else.

Should I feel safe at this point??....or is there another something I might consider running??
    (I don't really want to run all this BS stuff that the various hawkers are out there selling via their "free downloads')

Is this to be believed?
    http://www.wikifixes.com/errors/dll/...FUQV7Aod_REAbw

And why on this page is that Trojan virus only listed across from the Microsoft name?
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/d...7efb/analysis/

Thanks
    Is everything working as it should NOW?
    Repeat the FULL scans several more times with reboots in between and make sure both MSE and MBAM are
    fully up to date prior to proceeding.

*Do not run anything less than a FULL scan whenever you have suspicions.

I'm thinking back to a strange email that I opened and could not understand, even while it was addressed to me personally. Maybe it was hidden in there?
    The above is one of the most suspect ways to contract something.

Should I feel safe at this point??....or is there another something I might consider running??
    (I don't really want to run all this BS stuff that the various hawkers are out there selling via their "free downloads')
    If everything is running as it should be and there are no more detections, you should be alright.

Besides the MSE and MBAM you already have, these few tools are among some of my trusted toolkit additions:
    AdwCleaner 4.1.0.6
    Emsisoft AntiMalware
    HitmanPro 3.7

The above are free and supported by a trusted source: bleepingcomputer.com
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-12-30 at 16:17.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2015-01-01)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post

Besides the MSE and MBAM you already have, these few tools are among some of my trusted toolkit additions:
    AdwCleaner 4.1.0.6
    Emsisoft AntiMalware
    HitmanPro 3.7

The above are free and supported by a trusted source: bleepingcomputer.com
    I just came back to my computer and suddenly I am getting a few messages 'this (webpage) is not responding' ?? ....looks suspiciously like when it first started with me.
    my Malwarebytes trial has expired, ....so I need to try one of your other recommendations, in addition to my full scan by Essentials

Thanks
    Malwarebytes free will do just fine.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Different AV programs can have their own names for similar malware which is why if you scanned with MSE, then it will have identified it under that name - but it was interesting to see those programs that didn't pick it up.

You can use the free version of MBAM and while there is provision in an expired Trial version to change to the free version, I would uninstall the trial version before installing the freebie. https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc...-Anti-Malware-

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

You should be able to download and run any of the suggested programs by booting up into Safe Mode with Networking by tapping F8 (usually) as you switch on.

You could also go Start - type mrt.exe - press enter and opt for the full scan.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-12-30 at 19:20.

Thanks
    I don't remember HitmanPro being free for long. Emsisoft AntiMalware definitely has a free trial period, then either buy or uninstall. Spybot S&D 1.62 or 2.2 is free for life. MBAB is free for life [can't schedule scans]. MBAE is not free. Avast & Avira & AVG are free -- however, be prepared to be asked: would you like to upgrade to Pro? SpyHunter4 freebie scans [ButNoFreeFixes]. MSE is free [Win7 & earlier].
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I don't remember HitmanPro being free for long.
    I decided to give that one a try first, and it identified a few malwares, and in particular an internet speed test program I had just recently added to my computer in order to dbl-check my new Comcast internet speeds, ....that are not up to par, nor the speed I was sold by them.

So it deleted those and a few others, BUT it seem to have some issues with my Open Office program?

I would be tempted to delete this open Office program and reinstall it later (maybe), BUT wouldn't I lose a lot of my text messages that exist on my computer in either Open Office Document form or Word form?

You are correct in that it is a free trial for 30 days only

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post

You can use the free version of MBAM and while there is provision in an expired Trial version to change to the free version, I would uninstall the trial version before installing the freebie. https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc...-Anti-Malware-

https://www.malwarebytes.org/
    I installed a free 15 day trial of Malwarebytes on my computer when I first began to ask myself why my computer was starting and shutting down very slowly. It expired just a day or 2 ago, so I thought I had 'uninstalled it' At least that is what I initiated since they informed me that my trial period had expired. Just this evening when it was highly suggested that I use this software, I tried to reinstall it from their site. It did install, but when I went to use it, it gave me the message that my free trial period had expired thus it would not run.?

You should be able to download and run any of the suggested programs by booting up into Safe Mode with Networking by tapping F8 (usually) as you switch on.

You could also go Start - type mrt.exe - press enter and opt for the full scan.
    Perhaps I will give that a try after I try the full scan of MSE once again.
    Last edited by beiland; 2014-12-30 at 20:21.

Thanks
    Why would you lose text files if you uninstall Open Office? What directory did you place those text files in? If those files are within any Open Office directory, move 'em before uninstalling.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I was reading another posting's link I ran across this sublink. Since this Trojan malware's title had this 'dll' in its name I wondered what association there might be??

Windows.dll is a file Owned by Unknown Company, the main role of this DLL file is to function as a (Unknown Function).

DLL errors are short for Dynamic Link Library errors and when these happen you know it. When a DLL error occurs on your computer you are generally notified via a pop-up style error message that will tell you what kind of DLL error you have.

Some of the more common types of DLL error include Corefoundation.dll Error, Leframe.dll Error, 3dx9_x.dll Error, and Kernal32.dll Error.

Of course there is a bunch more, but these tend to crop up more often than some of the others. No matter what DLL error you are experiencing, the end result can be a slow PC and a frustrating time on your computer.
    Of course this came from someone trying to sell some other software to fix the 'dll problem' as it is supposedly so difficult to navigate thru by the inexperienced.

Does one want all 'dll' files/objects/whatever... off of their computers??

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Why would you lose text files if you uninstall Open Office? What directory did you place those text files in? If those files are within any Open Office directory, move 'em before uninstalling.
    Perhaps I have the wrong wording. I have on my computer a whole host of 'word documents' that I termed text files. In general they exist in either Microsoft 'Word' format,..or Open Office format ??

I do not have the formal MS Word program on my computer. Rather I have the free Open Office. When I am asked to save one of these 'text documents' that I have created, or copied, this program ask me if I wish to save it as an 'odt' (Open Document Text), or one of the Word documents. Sometimes I chose either one depending on how I might intend to utilize it. If I'm just saving it to refer back to at a later date, I might just save it as an 'odt', But if I intend to attach this 'text file' to an email or a forum posting then I usually chose to save it in a 'Word' format so that the recipient will not have trouble opening it.

Does that sound reasonable?....or am I doing something wrong?

My concern with 'uninstalling' the Open Office program is that I may lose all of those 'text documents' that I saved on my computer as 'odt' documents,...is that so ??

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You won't lose them but you won't be able to open them again until you reinstall Open Office or Libre Office also "understands" the .odt format.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    Does one want all 'dll' files/objects/whatever... off of their computers??
    No. Most DLL files are not evil and Windows contains thousands of them, mostly protected system files. (Try a search of your c:\ drive for *.dll)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    You won't lose them but you won't be able to open them again until you reinstall Open Office or Libre Office also "understands" the .odt format.
    Thanks for that. I was real concerned about this question of losing those files.

At one time I had a 'version' of Open office that was just not working properly (I felt), so I tried to upgrade (or go to another version), ....and I began to wonder if I had a somewhat similar problem this time when that Hitmanpro scan identified possible problems with Open Office on my computer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did another 'FULL' scan with SE last night, and nothing came up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast