2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange sound when laptop starts

My trusty laptop is now 3 years old. Last week it started making a strange sound when turned on cold. It lasts only 10 seconds. The sound is some like a louder grinding whirr which progressively disappears after 10 seconds. All else seems fine. It does not occur at all after startup.
    Any comments? Suggestions? Fears?
    Michael

Thanks
    First question - is your data backed up. If it isn't then do so immediately. The sound might not be anything of any consequence, or it might be an incipient failure. Either way your data should be backed up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2015-01-03)

Thanks
    At a guess it's the CPU fan making the noise (either clogged with dust or bearings breaking down) which disappears as the fan gains speed. However, this is just a guess.

Make and model of laptop may be useful as these can guide how easy (or not) it is to investigate further...

Thanks
    I second a fan as a possible cause. Give the vents a good blow with a can of compressed air.
    Fans are usually working at their hardest when the computer is first turned on from a cold off state.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    is your data backed up
    The OS and any utilities are backed up. My wife uploads and downloads daily to Facebook. Those photos are mulled and culled approximately monthly. Only a few do we save. Sounds like I should keep a close eye on any important future data.

Make and model of laptop may be useful
    Laptop is: HP Pavilion g7, Win7 Home premium OEM.

I second a fan as a possible cause
    I did 2 more tests this morning. I started cold from overnight rest. The sound last about 10 seconds. On a scale of light to strong, I would rate the sound as definitely light+. Not strong, but definitely noticeable. It sounds somewhat like a fan blade brushing a piece of paper. But decreases and goes to inaudible after 10 seconds. It could also be described as a rumbling or grinding. Immediately after cold start, I checked temps with Speccy.
    CPU = 27, Motherboard = 37, Hard drive = 26.

I then powered down the computer, waited 1 minute and rebooted. This time the sound was rather different. It lasted only 7 seconds, not 10. Also, there was no noticeable rumbling. It was more like a noticeable whirr, without rumbling. The sound loudness was about half that of the cold morning start. This is what Speccy said of this;
    CPU = 30, Motherboard = 41, Hard Drive = 27.

I don’t think the warm start is anything to be concerned about???
    The cold start however, really is noticeable and not normal.

What should I be anticipating???

Thanks to all who offer comments.
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael37713; 2014-12-31 at 10:55. Reason: Degree symbol was improper

Thanks
    Give the vents a good blow with a can of compressed air.
    Perform the above and then get back to us.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A Google search for hp pavilion g7 noisy fan turns up quite a few hits, suggesting that this model may possibly be more prone to fan noise than others.

The easiest way - but not necessarily the most efficient - is to use compressed air (sold especially for this purpose, not some garage hose ) to blow through the laptop whilst it's still assembled. If that appears to be ineffective then there's a lot of information out there about how to clean and even replace the CPU fan.

Unfortunately the G7 looks quite long-winded (but not necessarily difficult) to strip down to gain access to the CPU fan. (Have a look at 2 mins 20 secs in link 2 below to see how clogged it can get.)

See the following for more info:

1. Reducing Fan Noise

2. HP Pavilion dv7 Cleaning CPU FAN

3. HP Pavilion g7-2000 - Disassembly and fan cleaning

4. HP G7 Laptop Disassembly

5. Replacing the CPU Fan on an HP Pavilion G7 Laptop

Hope this helps...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If this ever turns into a question about hard-drive temperature, Acronis Disk Monitor [freebie] can be set to only monitor SMART and temperature [C or F]. Then, as you see the green in the taskbar, you'll be assured hard-drive temp is not part of the above-mentioned situation.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies for slow getting back. It’s been a very busy holiday for me.

Give the vents a good blow with a can of compressed air.
    I did get some time to try this. There was not much noticeable dust removed. The cold start noise seems somewhat similar, but not exactly as before.

A Google search for hp pavilion g7 noisy fan
    Rick,
    Thanks x10 for all that info. I did not realize that there were disassembly videos for my exact model laptop. I did a quick read of the HP info, and uncovered an interesting hint. HP suggests that optioning power saver during idle might improve fan noise. I only noticed this noise since the past couple of months. It is interesting that about that time I disabled the power saver option. That was per a suggestion to stabilize USB3 transfer rates. Of course the suggestion to disable power saver did not point out that doing so might introduce fan noise.
    I will copy the info and especially the videos you suggested. Who knows, they might come into use in the future.

Acronis Disk Monitor [freebie] can be set to only monitor SMART and temperature [C or F].
    Roland, I am some curious about your suggestion. I have never used Acronis Disk Monitor as yet. I wonder if you have used Speccy?. If so, do you have a preference?

Well, once again, thanks for all your suggestions. They are all appreciated.
    Michael.