New Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple critical errors - hard drive problems or image restore required?

Hi there

Our Samsung RC710/Win7 laptop has been behaving very erratically lately, with extended boot-up times taking from 90 seconds to get to the user login screen to ten or twenty minutes. I took a look at the Event Log and tidied up some things with no discernible effect, but the bulk of the critical errors (see attached filtered log) seem to be a wide range of services not starting/timing out, plus what seem to be regular disk timeouts, e.g.:

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR5
    The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period

There are some occasional hibernation errors but I disabled hibernation and went to delete the hiberfil.sys file after rebooting but it didn't exist, so I suspect that was related to the disk errors.

So my question at this point is: can anyone see a pattern in the services that are not starting/timing out, and is there a likely root cause? Or should I save my time and restore an earlier image?

Or if that likely cause is the hard disk beginning to fail, shall I just replace it? I have all my data files, music etc. backed up on two external drives so I'm not worried about either solution.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Is this using its original SATA hard disk or have you made any changes? From the text file you included it looks like its time to check the hard disk using the original HD manufacturer's diagnostics.

Hope this helps...

(Also in Bristol, UK )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

sf362 (2014-12-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Rick

Thanks for the prompt reply - next time I'll just open the window and shout

The disk is a Samsung HM641JI, and I've made no changes as I'm a hardware numpty. I disabled a bunch of Samsung crapware when we first got the laptop because every user had admin-only prompts flashing away every time they logged in (logging in with the admin credentials was never 'remembered'). Looking in the Samsung program folder I couldn't see anything that looked appropriate, so I've downloaded SeaTools for Windows. Search results bring up Samsung links that redirect to the Seagate site, so I guess they bought that business.

I imagine it will take a little while to run so I'll report back here with the results. Thanks again for the tip.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sf362 View Post
    ...can anyone see a pattern in the services that are not starting/timing out, and is there a likely root cause?...if that likely cause is the hard disk beginning to fail, shall I just replace it?...
    As to your second question, yes the HDD is about to fail.

As to your first question, yes I had a quick look through the log you posted.

There are many "...Disk 15...The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, is not ready for access yet" errors. Delays caused by these errors will be what is causing services to fail to start or time-out. "Harddisk0" will be the HDD in your Samsung laptop. It is about to fail.

There are some "...iaStor 9...The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period" errors.

There are a few "...Disk 11...The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk..." errors.

Your best option is to copy ("clone") all partitions from the laptop's Samsung HDD to a new HDD (this avoids having to reinstall Windows and programs).

You could try to do this yourself (there are a number of other Windows Secrets threads about doing this), or you could get a reputable computer shop or technician to do it for you.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

sf362 (2015-01-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Coochin. The Seagate diagnostic tool I was pointed to by Rick agrees with you, so I've booked a local repair guy to come and replace it with an SSD which he'll then clone from the failing drive.

Thanks again to you both.

Phil