Lounger
    Thanks

[SOLVED]Minimize (underscore) Missing on Laptop with 8.1 Updated - Modern Apps

On all PCs that I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 or came with 8.1, on modern apps, if I go to the top of the screen, a line appears with an underscore to minize the application and an X to close the application. And I have Startisback, which has an option to make that X really close the application instead of just appear to.

Recently, I have prepped a Lenovo Flex 2-15. It came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro. All updates have been applied.

But for some reason, if I make that top line appear on a modern app, only the X appears on the right. No underscore. Is there some trick to make it appear, like the regedit hack to make the power button appear on the start screen on tablets?

It's a little thing, but I am used to clicking on that underscore to minimize modern apps to the taskbar.

The other thing I just noticed between the laptop in question and my desktop...on my desktop, if I click on, say, the weather tile, it displays that top line (title bar) when it first brings up the application and I can see the underscore and X on the right...and after a moment, the title bar disappears. But it can be recalled at anytime by going up to the top of the screen. This was on a Dell XPS 8700.

Meanwhile, on the Lenovo Laptop, when I bring up the weather app for the first time, it doesn't display that title bar at all. I can still make it appear, but the underscore is missing. I wonder why 8.1 is behaving differently on the Lenovo?
    Last edited by Starry173; 2014-12-31 at 09:00. Reason: solved

Thanks
    The modern app should have a button on the task bar - can you right clock on that and click on close window? Not sure if that helps or what the significance is of it. Perhaps startisback is causing the problem....

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think that Startisback is causing problems. It works fine on all the other 8.1 PCs in our office and actually it works fine on this PC. I could try uninstalling it, but I doubt that is the problem. In fact, I think it was doing it before I installed Startisback.

I don't have an issue closing the modern app window. The X is there when I put the cursor at the top of the screen and pressing the X closes the application. But I want to just minimize the application to the taskbar. I will look to see if I can minimize it from the task bar. Maybe that will work. But it doesn't explain why 8.1 behaves differently. I will check that tomorrow. Thanks.

Thanks
    Sorry no, it doesn't minimise from the task bar. If you go to the top left and right click on the app's logo, you should get a few options there. On mine, one is minimise so that might help until you get the problem fixed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you disable "Show Windows Store apps on the taskbar" in Taskbar Properties, then it removes the minimize icon from the title bar of modern apps:

[Fix] Can’t See Minimize Button in Titlebar and Access Taskbar in Metro Apps in Windows 8.1

(I just tested this and can make the "_" disappear and reappear.)

It does seem logical; where's it going to minimize to?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-12-31 at 06:53.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2014-12-31),Starry173 (2014-12-31)

Lounger
    Thanks
    That was the solution, BruceR! Thanks. For some reason, this PC defaulted to not having Windows Store Apps on the taskbar. That was the whole problem. I was unaware that the option was even there. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Thanks
    Well you live and learn!