2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

safe mode with networking

First of all my computer skills are just average. This is not a problem at all, I was just wondering about it.
    When I go into safe mode ( safe mode works fine ) it wont work at all, ( safe mode with net working ) iam in a rest home, we have WIFI but the modem is kept in the office and never available to any of us. There is a WIFI pickup in each hall I imagine because the halls are so long, in my hall alone, iam a good 200 ft. from the modem. Thanks Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you saying wifi doesn't work in safe with networking mode? The may be because the network bits are running but not the driver for the wifi card.
    Is the wifi working in normal mode?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, if you bring your PC up in Safe Mode (Minimal), then you would have access to your computer, but you would be cut off from any network and cut off from the Internet. If you specify Safe Mode with Networking, then the drivers will be loaded that will allow you to access the network. But this sort of thing is only for debugging. It is best to boot up in normal mode if that is available to you.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My WIFI works perfect in normal mode My safe mode works fine. But when I click option ( safe mode with networking ) it says cant get networking in safe mode, even when I click option ( safe mode with networking ) the safe mode part is fine, but I cant get networking in safe mode. Why I don't no. I see others can. My computer skills are just average, so any info above average I wont no how to do. Is there a fix for this? Thank you Paul for your help. Thanks Chuck

Thanks
    "...If you specify Safe Mode with Networking, then the drivers will be loaded that will allow you to access the network. But this sort of thing is only for debugging." Starry173
    I think you have the answer from Starry173.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand the part safe mode is just for debugging only. But why when I press the option ( safe mode with networking ), I cant get networking? Others can. Thanks Chuck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can probably get networking with a cable, but not wireless.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not a Win 8.1 user but msconfig is an alternative method in Win 7 to boot up into Safe Mode with various options.

From a Google - go Start screen - Search box - type msconfig.exe - you may need to press enter and under the Boot tab check the boxes for Safe boot and Network - OK - then reboot.

You will need to go back into msconfig to uncheck those boxes for a normal boot.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You Paul, this makes sense. I got WIFI. Thanks Chuck