New Lounger
    Thanks

Hard Drive C:\ Partition Resizing

I have an old XP system where the hard drive's c:\ (primary) partition occupies virtually all of the hard drive's capacity. Only a very small proportion (less than 10%) of the C:\ partition is being used.

Question: Is there some non-destructive way to decrease the size of the C:\ partition so that a smaller partitions can be created for other purposes.

I had thought that something like the MiniTool partition software would do this but I can't seem to get it to do what I need to get done.

Thanks
    You'll need a boot disc for whatever partition tool you use. I'm only familiar with BootIt Bare Metal, and it can do a non-destructive resize. I'm sure other tools can also. Be sure to make a drive image before you begin.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I've used various free versions of EaseUS Partition Master with good results on XP machines, but there are many others available. As bbearren says, you'll need a bootable CD (or possibly a bootable USB Flash Drive) to get the product to do its work.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

http://www.partition-tool.com/

Both the above will let you create and resize partitions from within Windows without requiring a boot CD. I prefer to err on the side of caution and reboot after each individual change. The free versions are usually adequate for home users.

Always check for bundled unwanted extras when downloading and installing any new software and be sure to decline them. Use custom install when it’s available.

Thanks
    I resized cdrive and ddrive using Acronis Disk Director. However, just before doing so, I defragged cdrive to minimize "stray files" being lost to the rePartitioning, then made a couple of cdrive image backups. Maybe not applicable here?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    With any repartitioning I have to keep in mind that the original install will put files in the partition that simply can't be moved with defragging. Maybe using defraggler will help. Not being able to move those files limits how much change can be made.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    With any repartitioning I have to keep in mind that the original install will put files in the partition that simply can't be moved with defragging. Maybe using defraggler will help. Not being able to move those files limits how much change can be made.
    BootIt Bare Metal can compact a partition by moving "unmovable" files. They're only "unmovable" to Windows; otherwise, they're just files.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    BootIt Bare Metal can compact a partition by moving "unmovable" files. They're only "unmovable" to Windows; otherwise, they're just files.
    When Windows is running there are many files in use (pagefile, services, drivers, other system files) that cannot be moved. BootItBM's partition manager, and other boot-from-CD partition managers do not have this problem since no files on the partition are in use.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.