4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

newbie NAS questions

I'm looking to setup a NAS at home. I have a Verizon router (M1414WR) with a free LAN port.
    (1) I assume that any of the NAS devices will connect properly through the LAN?
    (2) Since data retention is very important, I believe that either RAID 1 or RAID 5 are appropriate? If RAID 5, do I need a 4 bay NAS?
    (3) At some point, I will set this up in my RV. Hooking to another router LAN port should be relatively painless?

Seagate and WD offer NAS. Any other brands I should look at?

Thanks.!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    J.E.,

I don't know too much about RAID so I'll stay away from that topic.

However, If you are going to move the NAS between routers you need to make sure that you setup a STATIC IP address for the NAS. Normally, they will use DHCP to get an available IP address which would change when moving between routers. Check out your selected NAS box's documentation on how setup a Static IP address. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The original idea of RAID was Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks or as some put it, Redundant Array of Independent Disks, back when HDDs were expensive, e.g. 345MB for $345.00. RAID worked best with identical drives, especially capacity. There are some NAS cases that can accept 2 or more HDDs but things can get costly as one also has to buy the drives. I use a single 1TB NAS drive.
    Some examples:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...asp?catId=9691

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    RAID is good is you need instant recovery from disk failure, but you need to monitor the disks so you can replace a failed unit fast.
    I prefer a good backup to external disk as it's cheaper, less complicated and portable. If you store the disks in your RV you potentially have less security against loss / destruction, so you could have two backup disks, swap them out daily and put the not in use disk in a fireproof safe.

cheers, Paul