3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trying To Upgrade IE 7 to IE 9 in Vista 64 bit SP2

Hi All;
    I am using Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP2, and I can't seem to upgrade IE7 to IE 9.
    Everytime I try to download IE 9 from microsoft I get a window that says it can't open the internet site.
    Then when I close that I get a message that says IE cannot display the webpage.
    I think IE 7 is missing something critical that newer sites need in order to work, but I have no idea what.

Can anyone lend a hand?
    Vista is up to date with SP2 and all updates are current.

Thanks,
    rstew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm having similar problems with some MS support sites in that it says the web site isn't available, but this one works for me so give it a try - and in Safe Mode with Networking should your AV be interfering. http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...9-details.aspx

If you still have problems with the MS site then try it from FileHippo http://filehippo.com/download_intern...lorer_vista_64

Normally when you have an older version of IE, Windows Updates usually prompts you with one - have you tried a manual Check for updates ?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I'm having similar problems with some MS support sites in that it says the web site isn't available, but this one works for me so give it a try - and in Safe Mode with Networking should your AV be interfering. http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl...9-details.aspx

If you still have problems with the MS site then try it from FileHippo http://filehippo.com/download_intern...lorer_vista_64

Normally when you have an older version of IE, Windows Updates usually prompts you with one - have you tried a manual Check for updates ?
    Yes I have tried mnual updates and all that has shown up is Vista updates; no IE updates.
    Is there another way to "force" an IE update?

Occasionally when I open IE it says my version is out of date, and offers a download of IE9. I downloaded the file; and it was an x86 file.
    Sure enough, when I went to install it, I got a window that said it was not compatible with my version of Windows. What?
    Why would Windows offer a download of an incompatible version??? How stupid is that.

Rod

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    Yes I have tried mnual updates and all that has shown up is Vista updates; no IE updates.
    Is there another way to "force" an IE update?

Occasionally when I open IE it says my version is out of date, and offers a download of IE9. I downloaded the file; and it was an x86 file.
    Sure enough, when I went to install it, I got a window that said it was not compatible with my version of Windows. What?
    Why would Windows offer a download of an incompatible version??? How stupid is that.

Rod

So I tried both sites and neither one will open. Same stupid "IE cannot open the internet site" message.

Rod

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It does seem strange that it's offering you the 32 bit version when it must be able to tell what you are running.

I'm on Win 7 64 bit and while a Google gave the MS site that I've linked as for Vista, the site knows I'm running Win 7 so if it comes up okay for you, it should show as Vista.

FileHippo can be a good alternative download site and that one is definitely for Vista 64 bit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Posting together.

Have you tried either site in a clean boot or with another browser ?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Here are some more things you can try http://www.thewindowsclub.com/cannot...ernet-explorer

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK problem solved finally!!

I had a stroke of brilliance (happens every once in a long while).
    I used my laptop (running Win7 x 64 bit with IE 11) to download the IE9 file, then moved it over to the Vista machine on a USB stick and installed it. No problem.
    it took a little poking around because the MS download site kept saying that I was already running IE 11; the most current version for Win 7.
    Eventually I got it though.

Mark this as "solved", and thanks to all.
    rstew

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad you found a workaround but it would be nice if you could resolve the original problem on the Vista machine.

You can use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark this thread as Solved.